Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dogs nose is swollen. It will start by being painful for

Customer Question

Hi my dogs nose is swollen. It will start by being painful for her to yawn she will wince when her mouth is fully open. She still plays with her toys and eats as normal. It then progresses on to a swollen nose. We took her to the vet a few months ago for the same problem. As she is very fear aggressive in the vets they were not able to look properly in her mouth so just gave her antibiotics. This worked but it is back again. We will obviously take her the vets again but we wanted to see if maybe it is something minor.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Rosie, this is a curious history. "Swollen nose" is unclear to me. Is the black nose, bridge of the nose (snout) or both swollen or are you seeing swelling inside the nostrils (her nasal passages). Can you upload a photo(s) of the swollen area to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Pain upon opening the mouth can be caused by masticatory myositis (an autoimmune disease), maxillary trauma, TMJ disease, bone and soft-tissue neoplasia (this doesn't come and go, however), foreign-body penetration (caudal to last molar, tonsillar region, pharyngeal wall, sublingual tissues), ocular disease and space-occupying orbital/retrobulbar lesions), ear disease, and other inflammatory muscle disorders. A response to antibiotics suggests infection was present although we can't know if the tincture of time sufficed to normalize her and the antibiotics were a red herring.

Yes, she needs to be lightly anesthetized and have her oral cavity, oro- and nasopharygeal areas directly visualized. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi i have attached a picture.

Thank you. I see swelling on her left snout. Am I correct? If so, her oral cavity needs to be directly visualized. A tooth root abscess is likely.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that’s correct. The swelling has gone with antibiotics in the past if it is a tooth abscess would antibiotics have cleared it up?

Antibiotics would be palliative but only a root canal or extraction can be curative. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would she still be eating and chewing her bone is it was a root abscess?

Yes, dogs are remarkable in that regard. Maybe it's the endorphins released when they chew their bones!