Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My five month old english bulldog has patellar luxation in

My five month old english bulldog has patellar luxation in both knees. My vet says we need to wait till the growth plates are fixed. She has a hard time getting up after laying down. I hate fot her to be in pain
I've had her on Extend glucosamine supplement for a month now

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns and several moments to type up my thoughts.

I'm so sorry to hear that your little one has bilateral patellar luxations.

Unfortunately as much as we do want to relieve her pain we need to wait for her to reach mature size before surgery will be an option. Trying to repair this in a growing pup will lead to a very poor result and could make things worse by affecting the rest of her bone growth and maturity.

But of course we want to do the best we can to address her pain.

I see that she is currently taking Extend glucosamine supplement, which is a fine source of glucosamine and MSM, as well as ascorbic acid. I don't see that it has an omega 3 component though, and that is important.

Long term for any joint pain I recommend using a combination of a glucosamine/chondroitin product (examples are Dasuquin or Cosequin) and an omega 3 fatty acid (like 3V Caps or Derm Caps). I recommend an omega 3 fatty acid dose based upon the EPA portion (eicosapentanoic acid) of the supplement as if we do that the rest of the supplement will be properly balanced. Give her 20mg of EPA per pound of body weight per day. For example a 35 pound dog could take 700mg of EPA per day.
Omega 3's and glucosamine/chondroitins work synergistically and improve cartilage health and joint fluid quality and quantity as well as reducing inflammation. They can take several weeks to see full improvement but some dogs do very well with them alone. They are available over the counter.
Another option is a product called Duralactin. This is an anti-inflammatory product derived from milk proteins and it also has omega 3 fatty acids incorporated into it which can be very helpful. See this link for further information: http://www.duralactin.com/products_canine.htm
If those medications are not enough her veterinarian can prescribe drugs that are more potent. Veterinary drugs we can add include a nonsteroidal like Metacam, Galliprant, Deramaxx, Previcox or Rimadyl. If those aren't enough we can add another drug in the opiod family called Tramadol and/or another drug called Gabapentin.

Cold laser therapy on her joints may also help control pain and has no side effects.

Make sure she is sleeping on padded surfaces, keep her away from any drafts.

If she seems stiff then hot packs on her affected joints for 10 minutes at a time in the mornings to ease stiffness may help.

Any joint swelling may be helped by cold packs on her affected joints at the end of play or exercise for 10 minutes at a time.

Try to avoid jumping, running up or down stairs or uneven play surfaces. With joint issues any sort of "pounding" or irregular forces on the joint are much more damaging.

Best of luck with your girl!It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I will look into getting her on an EPA along with the Extend.
Right now she is 28 pounds. Her full weight as projected by her parents size should be around 40 to 45 pounds. She's the sweetest dog I've had since my Zorro died years ago.
She is on a padded bed but I'm gonna add some additional padding to give her a bit more cushion.
Thanks again!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr Kara answered quickly and confirmed my concerns. Also made some suggestions that I'll be incorporating into my dog's care.
Thanks again!

Glad to help, my best to your little one!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My pleasure!