Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Puppy Vacs:- My puppy was vaccinated at 7 weeks (Nobivac®

Puppy Vacs:-My puppy was vaccinated at 7 weeks (Nobivac® DHPPi and Lepto 2).
Vaccinated again at 10 weeks with the same as above.
Now my Vet says he needs a Parvo vaccine in 3 weeks time (he'll be 16 weeks then).
Is there any need for this extra vaccine? Surely Parvo is covered in the first 2 jabs.
Let me know what you think please.
Natalie

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Natalie, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. The last puppy parvovirus vaccine should be given at 16-18 weeks of age because maternal antibodies which can interefere with the vaccine can persist for that length of time. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK, thanks for your answer. I just presumed the two previous jabs would be enough - it seems to be enough cover for Distemper, Hepatitis and Para-influenza virus. I just thought it strange that Parvo needs a third jab.

You're quite welcome. The canine vaccination guidelines (Canine Vaccination Taskforce, 2011) state that all of the core vaccines - canine distemper, infectious canine hepatitis, parvovirus - should have a third vaccine between 16-18 weeks of age. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Does this cover the Uk?

Yes, these diseases are worldwide. In which country the vaccines are given is immaterial.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

It's my pleasure. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.