Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My dog has lost weight drastically this last fortnight. She

My dog has lost weight drastically this last fortnight. She is now vomiting every meal and has mucus in her nose

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Is she drinking more than usual?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- How long has this been going on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1.She drinks a lot of water
2. No pre existing conditions known
3. 2 weeks

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

One last question, how much does she weigh?

Erin, when a dog is vomiting their food this can be caused by many different medical conditions. I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are disorders of the esophagus (megaesophagus), ingestion of a foreign body, tumors or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. The weight loss is directly related to not absorbing any food or part of an underlying disease. The mucus in the nose could be secondary to the excessive vomiting. Or, she could have a respiratory infection.

In this case, to pinpoint the exact underlying cause your dog will need a hands-on examination by a veterinarian, x-rays. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Zantac (ranitidine) 1-2 mg per kilogram body weight every 8-12 hours. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).

2- No food or water for 3-4 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 3-4 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

Note: When you feed her raise her food dish on to a small stool to force her to raise her head when eating.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you this has been most helpful. I have booked an appointment for her tomorrow but I am worried about how weak she is... she is a border collies sized mixed breed dog but has lost so much weight she looks closer to a grey hound. Do you think she will be ok to be strong enough until her appointment at 11 tomorrow morning?

I am sorry for the delay in response I was offline by the time you came back. In response to your question, I don't know if she will be okay until tomorrow as I have not examined or have a definitive diagnosis. If she is at a point where she could barely walk I would err on the side of caution and have her checked by ER veterinarian tonight.

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter