Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My Petsitter gave a 6 week old kitten 2.5 cc of panacur

Customer Question

My Petsitter gave a 6 week old kitten 2.5 cc of panacur instead of .25 cc of panacur what do I do ? Is he gonna die?What can be done to help at this point ? Help I’m scared
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much Dr Scott I’m so upset we have had Him about a week he already had one round of panacur .2cc/ml once a day for 5 days , last night started second round around 9pm as his belly was still round and swollen , I gave him .2 cc/ml around 5pm I’m and then Petsitter gave him the rest of the syringe which had about 2.5c /ml left he said he did spit out some he is alert at this time that was around 8:30 pm (3 hrs ago) he is playful and wants to eat . I r ad some and said to keep warm / administer subq fluids which I do have or give charcoal but just need to know what the best course of action should be . I’m so upset ��

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Good news! Panacur has a very wide safety margin in cats, in fact, they can tolerate up to 100 times the recommended dose without developing serious symptoms.

2. That said some kittens may perhaps develop a mild transient bout of vomiting and or diarrhoea following this sort of incident, but should this occur it should not be too serious and should pass on it's own, however, if anything worse than this should occur then you should have a local vet check your kitten over without delay.

3. Given the above, all you need do is to keep an eye on your kitten for now. But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your kitten's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for getting back to me I feel a little better but still very cautiously scared that he may take a turn for the worse . Should I give him any subq fluids ? Allow to eat or not / wait ? And any signs if any I should look out for ??

As Panacur has a very high margin of safety in the cat you will be taking very little risk if you very just to observe him for now, the chances are that this will not be such a serious incident.

Expects symptoms would usually only be some degree of tummy upset { Should they occur}, but in any case, I should be about for a few hours yet if you want to get back to me.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your kitten is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Panacur overdose ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott