Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dogs toy he was playing with just went into some ant

Hi my dogs toy he was playing with just went into some ant powder containing, permethrin 0.05%. I tried calling him of but he grabbed it so took in any powder that had stuck itself to the toy. Do I need to panic or just keep an eye on him and see how he goes

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Thankfully, that's a very small concentration of permethrin and only the smallest of dogs would become intoxicated by it - vomiting, agitation, tremors soon after ingestion. How much does Harry weigh, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5.5kg

Thank you. To answer you directly, just keep an eye on him and see how he goes. There's no specific antidote for pyrethroid intoxications. Treatment - if needed - is symptomatic and supportive only. I don't believe that Harry will need to be treated in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for all your quick replies. I will keep a close eye on him but at least I feel at ease now. Many thanks again

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.