Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I am looking after my sons cockatoo Assistant: I'll do all I

Customer Question

I am looking after my sons cockatoo
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cockatoo?
Customer: i am looking after my sons cockatoo puppy of eleven weeks old. I think she may have eaten a dispersible aspirin of 75mg.. I am not sure but I put it out to take was distracted and it cannot be found. The puppy is like a vacuum she gathers up anything from the floor and if this had fallen she could well have eaten it. If so what effect will this have on her. Please what should I do. Help
Assistant: The Expert will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the cockatoo's name?
Customer: Lilya
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lilya?
Customer: Not to my a knowledge. Spelt her name wrong. It’s lily
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.#

How long ago do you think this happened?

How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Taken about one and a half hours ago
Sahel weigqhs approx 7 pounds
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Taken about one and a half hours ago
She weigh approx seven pounds
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Oh dear, she is quite a small lass.

Therefore, this is an overdose if she did have it and we could see her develop GI upset or a stomach ulcer. So, we are best being proactive for Lily. Ideally, we'd want to induce vomiting to get as much of this out of her stomach as possible. To do that, you can use washing soda crystals (NOT CAUSTIC SODA!). Take a small handful of the soda crystals, mix with a bit of water to make a ball and give it right down her throat. If you do that and she doesn't bring this back up, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

Else we could (and ideal if you aren't sure if she had it but think possibly not) consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Overall it is a bid dose if she had this, so we need to tread with care and err on the side of caution by using the above. If you struggle to do this at all, then we need her seen and you will need to ring her vet (as all have out of hours care options) or check the RCVS Register (http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/) or Vets Now (http://www.vets-now.com/find-an-emergency-vet/) who are open all nights/weekends.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************
Afterwards, as I am giving you my own free time, please take a moment & rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site won't credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this & rating me now does not close your question. We can continue until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you! : ) **

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are there any symptoms I should l look for? She is her usual energetic self at the moment. It is now approx 2.5hours since this could have happened.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Good morning,

As I noted before, GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea) is the key sign to monitor for in these cases. Else we could see belly pain, pale gums, bloody/brown vomit or black stools if she were to develop a stomach ulcer. But Hopefully you did induce vomiting and that will be no worry here.

Best wishes,

Dr. B

**************************