Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

3months 10th august French bulldog been sick 4 times has

Customer Question

3months 10th august French bulldog been sick 4 times has runny tummy tried him small amount chicken which he sick again very lifeless can you hep me please.
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the French Bulldog?
Customer: keeps on being sick sleeping all the time
Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the French Bulldog. What is the French Bulldog's name?
Customer: toby
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Toby?
Customer: he is only 3 months
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What does the vomit and diarrhea look like?

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums (or inner eyelids) pink, yellow, or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human medications/drugs, etc)?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
diarrhea brownish runny water fine gums bit pale belly don't hurt always picking things up ingarden ie wood and snails
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 days ago.

Hello again,

First, if those gums are a bit pale, we need to tread with care as that can be a sign of GI circulation issues or secondary to worms. Now I see Toby has been eating snails, so make sure he is treated for lungworm (Advocate or Milbemax) and I'd not that those treatments will cover for GI worms too. Otherwise, given his GI signs, we'd be worried he ate something he should not have (like wood) but also have to keep other issues like bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, protozoa infections, or dietary indiscretion in mind.

With this all in mind, if he is very pale or very collapsed, we'd want him sen now. Else we can try some home supportive care. To start, we can try boosting his blood sugar by rubbing a sugary syrup (ie glucose syrup, honey, karo syrup, pancake syrup, or even non-grape jam) onto the gums. This will get some sugar into your wee one and hopefully perk him up for us. After we could try to reduce nausea/vomiting with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), Omeprazole (More Info/dose @ https://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/drug-library/library/omeprazole-prilosec-gastrogard-for-dogs-and-cats/))]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if he cannot keep it down due to nausea, that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Afterwards, we can try him with small meals of a light diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset/diarrhea. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion. Furthermore, if he is very loose, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Finally, as dehydration is a risk we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check that, there are a few things you can look for. Besides gum moisture, make sure his eyes aren't sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check those dehydration signs, here is a good video ( http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html ) to look at. If you do see any signs of dehydration already, that's our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, I am concerned about the toll this is taking on Toby and his pale gums. We can try the above now for him but if he is really collapsed or really pale we'd want him seen now. And if you do want to do that, some vets in our country have office hours today. As well, I wanted to mention that most practices have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients even when they are closed. Therefore, it is worth ringing the practice. If they are open, you can get in today. If they aren't, then they will likely have a message to direct you on contacting their out of hours service. And if you don't have a vet, you can find a local one via the RCVS Register (http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/) or Vets Now (http://www.vets-now.com/find-an-emergency-vet/) who are open all nights/weekends. In any case, if you wanted to get this checked out sooner then there are options to do so.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************
Afterwards, as I am giving you my own free time, please take a moment & rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site won't credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this & rating me now does not close your question. We can continue until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you! : ) **