Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dog keeps making an action as if she is trying to be

My dog keeps making an action as if she is trying to be sick. Been ongoing since last night. Fine when she sleeps; and fine when playing.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We have checked her through for obstruction; and nothing can be seen; still eating and drinking. But not usual appetite

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long have you been seeing these signs?

Are her gums (or inner eyelids) pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human medications/drugs, etc)?

Any coughing or breathing changes?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No coughing or breathing changes.I will check her gums and eye and come back to you.I will also press her stomach to see

Thank you, ***** ***** stand by.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Salmon pink gums; not overly dark or pale. Doesn’t seem to be tender to touch. She seems to have settled since giving her a antihistamine

Good, glad to hear she hasn't those signs.

Though if she has responded to the antihistamine that may be because it is sedating her but it may also reflect a possible airway irritation as opposed to being sick.

So, do monitor her but I would suggest putting her on a liquid antacid (ie Milk of Magnesia - 0.5tsp ever 12-24 hours). That way we counter nausea but also coat her throat if it is irritated. As well, we can plan to put her on a soft/light diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Overall, her signs do raise a few concerns but if she is responding the the antihistamine this may be an upper airway/throat irritation. Therefore, we can try broad supportive care for Luna. Of course if this persists, then we'd want a check with her vet to have her stomach and airway assessed +/- have antibiotics started if they find an infectious process is to blame.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************
Afterwards, as I am giving you my own free time, please take a moment & rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site won't credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this & rating me now does not close your question. We can continue until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you! : ) **