Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a 8 week old kitten and he is limping ave felt his

I have a 8 week old kitten and he is limping ave felt his paw am he is not making any noise but he won’t walk properly on it so a don’t know if a should take him to a vets or not
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No there no wound
Assistant: What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Charlie
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charlie?
Customer: He’s not long had his first jags

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. One moment while I type my reply

How long ago did this happen?

Did you see any accident or could you think what the cause might have been?

Is he able to put it on the ground at all, or is he keeping it held up?

Does he seem otherwise well i.e. bright, active, happy to eat?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
This afternoon yea he’s eating an happy
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Yea he can put some weight on it just limping
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I didn’t see any accident

Ok, it's great that he is acting normal and eating as sometimes kitties will feel sorry for themselves after an injury, stop eating and become dehydrated (this is where trouble can start!). Do monitor his eating and drinking to ensure it remains normal.

It's also very reassuring that he can put some weight on it, as most typically with a break or dislocation they will be unable to bear any weight.

It is worth checking his claws/toes and rubbing your finger up and down the leg to ensure there is no cause of the limp e.g. a thorn or a scab.

While without examining little Charlie it is difficult to say for sure, from what you have told me I am most suspicious that this is a muscle strain/sprain. Young kittens get these all of the time when they are jumping/running and finding their feet. The majority of injuries will gradually improve with rest and time and will sort themselves out with no treatment in about 24 hours.

I would encourage rest (as much rest as is possible in an 8 week old kitten!) by avoiding ANY jumping/stairs/running etc. Try to encourage Charlie to lie down and stay still as much as you can, as this will speed up the healing.

You may also wish to make a small heat pack from a sock and uncooked rice. Pop the rice in the sock and heat in the microwave until warm. Place on the leg and leave on for 5 minutes to ease any discomfort or swelling. Do not force the issue if Charlie doesn't like it. If he tolerates it, this can be done a few times a day

Please DO NOT give Charlie any human pain medicine as this can be HIGHLY toxic.

You should notice when he wakes up tomorrow his limp is much improved and it should continue to improve each day with rest. If it is getting worse at all, or not improved after 24 hours, or if Charlie seems unhappy in himself, a trip to the vet would be in order.

It has been a pleasure helping you out today, and I hope that you feel I have earned a five-star rating. Please remember to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen, otherwise the website will not compensate me for my time. There is no extra charge for this (it’s included in your question fee). Even after rating, you are more than welcome to continue asking questions. Thank you, ***** *****

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Thank u

Very happy to help and hopefully Charlie will be back to normal very shortly. I will leave this window open if you want to check in after today or tomorrow with an update, or if you think of any further questions. Dr Linda