Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I really need your help, My puppy is around 16 weeks old, he

Hi I really need your help, My puppy is around 16 weeks old, he came home with us last Monday. We took him the vets the following day for a check and he was all fine an healthy. Since this hes been slowly deteriorating. He hasnt eaten anything so we took him to our vet who said he has a temperature and has eaten something that hasn't agreed with him. He gave him two injections, one of antibiotics and one to stop him vomiting. Also a prescription of noroclav (which we haven't given him yet, he is due to start today).
Ernie was vomiting last night and there was a very small, thin work in the vomit, we went and got worming tableys and gave him one.We have been giving him water via a syringe but he vomit most of this up. He still won't eat(3days now) and is very thin.
Do you think the worms are the issue or still as my vet says and it's something he has eaten?

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Do you know which anti-nausea injection he had?

What does his vomit look like?

Did he keep the water down?

Are his gums (or inner eyelids) pink, yellow, or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human medications/drugs, etc)?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your reply.
His gums are still pink, he has kept some water down
His vomit has been like foamy sometimes, it started a little yellow but now more clear.
We dbut is still vomiting. we don't know the exact injection he had for nausea.
He has been playing in the garden, we have tried to watch him, we did notice he are a little of our cats food and has come running across garden with little twigs and leaves in his mouth whilst playing with them.
We were worried about the live work.
Should we start the noroclav as instructed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your reply.
We were worried about the live work.
Should we start the noroclav as instructed?Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your reply.
We were worried about the live work.Should we start the noroclav as instructed?

Hi again,

Now we are in a tiny bit of a catch 22. Given he had a fever, I suspect this is an infectious agent (ie bacterial, viral, etc) causing his signs. So, we do want him on the Noroclav. Why its tricky is because it can cause nausea in dogs as well, so there is a risk he may vomit with that too. And that is why I'd be keen for you to ring his vet about having them dispense an oral anti-nausea treatment that you can pre-treat with (plus address the continued vomiting better). Especially as any anti-nausea medication he was given by injection will only last 24 hours at best (Cerenia, where Metoclopramide doesn't last that long). Any delay and we could add in a small dose of an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), Omeprazole (More Info/dose @ https://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/drug-library/library/omeprazole-prilosec-gastrogard-for-dogs-and-cats/))]. Just to note, the worms (so common at this age) probably also are in part to blame for the GI signs but if you wormed him that is great and we'd hope that just addresses that here.

Overall, we do want to start the Noroclav for Ernie but monitor him closely. If he is still vomiting, ring his vet about an anti-nausea medication and if you try the Noroclav and he starts vomiting even more, he may even need to go back for further injectable treatment, fluids +/- a change of antibiotics to one that agrees with the stomach better.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************
Afterwards, as I am giving you my own free time, please take a moment & rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site won't credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this & rating me now does not close your question. We can continue until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you! : ) **

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks indeed.
This has helped us so much.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Glad to be of help & wish you both the best there. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B

**************************

Please take a moment & rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site won't credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this & rating me now does not close your question. We can continue until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you! : ) **