Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a 9 week old puppy who has developed bald patches

I have a 9 week old puppy who has developed bald patches over the last week. Can I send you a picture?

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Yes, please. You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The puppy is chocolate and tan but carry’s the dilute gene as her dad is blue so I’m worried about colour dilution alopecia

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

I understand your concerns. Before color dilution alopecia is considered, skin scrapings at the periphery of the hair loss need to be performed looking for the Demodex mange mite which is more likely considering the "moth eaten" appearance of Darla's skin. Dogs affected with color dilution alopecia usually begin to lose hair at between 6 months and 2 years of age. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can dogs suffer colour dilution alopecia even if they aren’t dilute in colour? The mum of the pups and other puppies still present in the litter all have perfect coats

No, color dilution alopecia describes a follicular dysplasia of color-dilute hairs only. The diagnosis is made by performing a trichogram (microscopic examination of plucked hairs): hair cortices and medullas contain numerous large melanin clumps, and hair cuticles have defects and fractures. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The breeder said they were all sore after their microchip could it be a reaction to this?

No. Microchips don't cause such skin changes. Please note that demodicosis isn't contagious. The other pups may or may not break with clinical signs of that mange mite. Your pup's local skin immunity may have been slow to develop. Pups contract the mite from their mom within days of birth.