Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My wee dog has something going on in her mouth. There is

Customer Question

My wee dog has something going on in her mouth. There is fluid coming out and wetting her chin and upper throat area. The fluid stinks. And it has blood through it as it is stained. We only noticed this this morning. She is sulking now behind the furniture. We have looked in her mouth and can't see anything apparent. She does appear tender on one side of her lower mouth. She is breathing with her mouth open and the breathing is getting on to be more like panting.
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: her name is ***** ***** cocker spaniel aged five.
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Wispa?
Customer: No she has been in fine form up until today, she ate as usual this evening and she was skipping around the garden this afternoon whilst I cut the grass.
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just one moment while I type my reply

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't see any response from you

I'm very sorry for the wait.

Is there any chance she may have something stuck in her mouth? Has she been pawing at it to try and get something out? Will she let you open her mouth to check for this, or for an abscess or dental disease? If you can check, and there is nothing stuck, can you see if her teeth appear in good condition or is there a lot of gingivitis (red gums) and build up of calculus/plaque? if you are unsure, feel free to send a picture.

And she is not chewing differently when eating?

Any change in drinking habits?

Has she had any coughing or sneezing?

It is also important to know is she is still actually swallowing (can you see her swallow? If unsure, if you gently massage her throat, this should result in a swallowing reflex). When a dog cannot swallow, they will typically drool excessively and may pant.

You mention she was with you when you cut the grass; any chance she has eaten any of the grass trimmings or anything else when outside e.g. weed killer or rat poison or slug bait? Similarly, does she have access to any other toxins such as human medications, grapes, chocolate or anti-freeze?

In the area that she is tender, is there any swelling?

Thank you for all of the additional information as it will ensure a more accurate answer.

Apologies, my computer seems to have 'opted me out' of the question, but I can assure you I am still here if you wish to continue the conversation. Many thanks and apologies for the technical error (I believe it may be because I am temporarily in an area with poor internet). Dr Linda