Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My 8 year old cat Lola seems to be off her food, casting

Customer Question

Hello! My 8 year old cat Lola seems to be off her food, casting hair and has lost weight.. 2 weeks ago she ate a bird which made her sick and I subsequently have wormed her... please help
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Lola
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lola?
Customer: No, no medical conditions
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. I'm sorry Lola has not been herself for a few weeks.
Has she had any ongoing symptoms since eating the bird e.g. diarrhoea, vomiting, coughing?
Does she do her business outside?
Has she had any increase in her thirst or change in her urination habits?
How long has she been off her food and how different is her appetite (e.g. a 10% reduction, 50% reduction?). What is her normal diet? Is she favouring any food e.g. soft food?
Would she let you look in her mouth? It's worth checking for red gums, bad breath or calculus build-up?
Any changes in her behaviour e.g. increased meowing, increased grooming, lethargy?
Do you remember the name of the worming product you used?
Has she had a vet check in the last 6 months?
Thank you in advance for answering all of the questions which will help me to give you a more accurate response.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We have given Lola Bob Martins clear wormer spot on solution and would say there is a 50% reduction in her appetite.... she is favouring dry food rather than her normal diet of iams. Lola tends to do the toilet outside so haven’t been able to check any stools for signs of worms
Ok, thank you very much for the additional info.
Weight loss can be caused by a combination of a reduced appetite and other things e.g. vomiting, diarrhoea or parasites. It can be very difficult to monitor for these additional symptoms in outdoor cats. If possible, it may be worth keeping her in with a litter tray for a day or two to determine what is going on.
The reduced appetite could be linked to a number of things including dental disease, chronic nausea, internal pain sources e.g. stomach ache etc.
At 8 years old, Lola is entering the middle of her life and as she has been losing weight, she should have a vet check her over. They will do a nose to tail check to look for things that are tough for owners to spot such as a sore tooth, ear infection, mouth ulcer, heart murmur, internal lumps, abdominal pain, elevated temperature etc.
With weight loss, general blood and urine tests will usually be run if there is no cause found on the check over, which can be taken in the consult and you should have results in a day or so. These tests are important to check for common causes of weight loss that may not be picked up on a physical exam such as kidney/liver disease, infections, pancreatitis etc.
Most of the time, we will then have our answer and can start the most appropriate treatment.
In the mean time, it may be worth trialling a more effective wormer. I would suggest either Drontal or Panacur . They should be dosed based on her current weight.
I would also tempt her with foods such as chicken and white fish to ensure she does not lose more weight.
As discussed above , as there are so many reasons for weight loss, this is something that needs to be looked into further.
I do hope that this answer has been helpful and please do not forget to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen so I may be compensated for my time. Even after rating we can continue the conversation. Dr Linda

Hi there, just checking in to ensure you received my final response and did not have any further questions about Lola?

Hello, just a final check in as this question is still open and has not yet been rated. I hope that Lola is now feeling a lot better. Feel free to ask any further questions you may have. If you were satisfied with your response, please do not forget to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the page. All the best, ***** *****