Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My lurcher has anemia so vet told me to give her 200mg of

My lurcher has anemia so vet told me to give her 200mg of ferrous sulfate she's had 2 but so lethargic and sleepy. However she cut her paw yesterday and lost a couple of table spoons of blood.
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Lurcher bitch
Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the bitch. What is the bitch's name?
Customer: Maggie
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maggie?
Customer: She had a brain swell a few years ago and wobbles a bit and is on propalyn 3 times a day as she weed

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes while I type my reply

I'm sorry to hear Maggie has been going through this. Absolutely, anaemia will result in lethargy and sleepiness and she likely feels like she has no energy at all. As anaemia can be caused by so many things in dogs, a very thorough work-up which will include general blood tests, clotting blood tests, urinalysis, faecal exam and imaging will usually be needed to get to the route cause of the issue. If this has not been done and if you do not know the specific reason for the anaemia, this should be done as soon as possible. It is very rare that a dog develops anaemia just because of an iron deficiency, especially if they are being fed a complete diet. Chronic internal blood loss would be a concern if her iron levels are low.

Depending on how low her haematocrit (red blood cell volume) is, it would be worth discussing a blood transfusion with your vet which should improve her demeanour.

With regards ***** ***** paw bleed, this is highly unlikely to be significant. Assuming Maggie weighs around 30kg, her normal blood volume would be around 2.5 litres (2,500mls) of blood. Two full tablespoons of blood is 10mls of blood so is not going to be missed.

However, with this recent bleed I would want to know if she is bleeding easily (a tendency to bleed can indicate a clotting issue) and if the wound is deep enough to require stitches or any medication such as antibiotics.

It has been a pleasure helping you out today, and I hope that you feel I have earned a five-star rating. Please remember to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen, otherwise the website will not compensate me for my time. There is no extra charge for this (it’s included in your question fee). Even after rating, you are more than welcome to continue asking questions. Thank you, ***** *****

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thankyou

Absolutely, please feel free to ask any further questions you may have.