Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

It is like my dog is trying to clear his throat but then he

It is like my dog is trying to clear his throat but then he goes wobbly on his legs disoriented erratic breathing and pees and poor himself where I think he is frightened then after he has calmed down he is back to normal hearing and drinking okay
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is 13 and half
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ethan?
Customer: He does pace around a bit and stare into space

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Ethan. You appear to be describing complex partial seizures (also called psychomotor seizures) which are described as abnormal focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity affecting any part of the body and which may be associated with autonomic signs, (salivation, vomiting, e.g.) and is associated with a change in mentation (mental status/"disoriented, staring into space") and/or behavioral abnormalities. (If consciousness is lost a general seizure (previously called gran mal) is diagnosed.) Sleep is the most common post-ictal (post-seizure) symptom. Mark your calendar for these events and for just what you witnessed. Ethan's vet will need all the information you can gather when deciding if he should be prescribed an anticonvulsive drug. Most of us will accept one mild (lasting less than 5 minutes, no thrashing about, no loss of consciousness) event monthly before prescribing such a drug. Should Ethan suffer another event within 24 hours of a prior one clustering is diagnosed and that may presage status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't abate unless I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. He would then need the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience.

Seizures first arising between the ages of 1-5 years are usually considered idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy. Seizures arising after 6 years of age are often caused by brain tumor or, less commonly, adult onset epilepsy. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.