Dr. Jaime
Dr. Jaime, Veterinarian
Experience:  Avian/exotic practice owner, 17 yrs. exotic rescue, 8 yrs. private practice, 2 yrs. wildlife medicine.
32340278

I just receivd a lab worm egg count for a mixed sample from

I just receivd a lab worm egg count for a mixed sample from my two elderly bantam hens, which gives a roundworm egg count of 150 epg. Although I'm told this is not high, as both of them are a bit under the weather I have ordered some flubenvet medicated feed. They were last wormed about 5 months ago. What would you advise? Also one of them (Rosie) has been unwell for about 6 months. A vet thought it was a blockage, and as I've read that roundworm can cause an intestinal blockage, I felt I needed further advice.
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations the lab can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the lab's name?
Customer: It was Westgate Labs.
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the lab?
Customer: sorry - have you misunderstood - why are you asking about the lab ( I am very slow on the keyboard, sorry)

I'm Dr. Jaime and I'd like to help. I wouldn't be adverse to deworming these ladies if they are otherwise not well; especially if there is diarrhea, fecal pasting around the vent, weight loss or feathers missing around the vent. If there is a parasite burden it isn't helping if there is something else going on. With our elderly hens support of the immune system by decreasing parasite load is a good idea in my opinion. Other reasons older hens can have problems that resemble blockage can be reproductive tract disease, arthritis and kidney problems, so if the deworming doesn't help I would recommend a further work up with radiographs and blood tests.

Please let me know if you have further questions, and I will reply here. Otherwise, if you are satisfied with my answer please leave me a rating.