Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My rogue de Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking

Hi - my rogue de
Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: hi , my dogue de Bordeaux had a TPLO recently on his right rear leg . He’s been recovering well . We took him on holiday last week which involves a six hour car journey . This was 7 weeks after surgery and we kept him on leash excersise . When we got home we let him in the back garden to toilet whilst we emptied our car - when he came in literally two minutes later he has a real acute limp ( seemingly from the shoulder area) on his FRONT left leg . We gave him some metacalm in his food . This morning he’s just as bad . Is this potentially a musle tear ?
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Nothing on his foot , no reaction if I touch his foot but if he leans on his elbow or if I left his whole leg he is in pain
Assistant: What is the dogie's name?
Customer: Bruce
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bruce?
Customer: He had two front Elbow ops 2 years ago - OCD ( but the pain doesn’t seem to come from there )
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi - do we have any update please ?
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. I do apologise that your question has not been answered more promptly and hope I can still be of some help.
I'm sorry Bruce seems to have injured himself after what sounds like a great and straightforward TPLO recovery.
Certainly, we can assume he had been putting more weight on his front limbs during recovery, to ease the strain. This can make dogs more prone to injuries on the limbs that have not had a surgery. With a history of OCD, we know that Bruce is more prone to the development of local arthritis and other issues.
As the injury was so sudden, he may well have strained himself. You have likely already done this, but it is worth to check all claws, in between toes, pads etc. We are looking for grazes, puncture marks or small foreign bodies. Move each individual joint, fully flexing and extending them, noting any resistance. Feel all along the limb for areas of heat or swelling.
Is he licking at any area on the limb in particular? This can help us localize the discomfort.
Does his lameness improve or get worse after rest?
Is he able to weight bear or is he constantly for touching (hovering the toes above the ground)?
If his lameness improves with rest and he has the ability to weight bear, we would hope that this truly is a strain. With such a large dog, they need Very strict rest (something which you have probably gotten used to recently!) and I would think a daily dose of Metacam is appropriate as long as he has no side effects e.g. stomach upset.
If you can localize the pain, consider using a warm pack on the area for 5 minute sessions three times a day.
He should improve daily and, if not, a vet visit will be in order.
Given his history of orthopaedic issues, it is always important to ensure he is lean and trim and joint supplements should be considered. In a similar vein, physiotherapy and hydrotherapy can be highly beneficial to build up any lost muscle and prevent further injuries.
In this recent cold weather we should prevent his joints from seizing up by keeping him warm and using a padded, orthopaedic bed.
I do hope that this answer has been helpful and please do not forget to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen so I may be compensated for my time. Even after rating we can continue the conversation. All the best, ***** *****
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi - today , Bruce is much better . Still very slightly limping on that front left ( but also conscious his right rear TPLO will be impacting his walking) . Does this suggest it was a strain or a muscle pull ?
Great! Yes, I would think so. Be cautious that he doesn't over do it; I woukd continue with the strict rest for s couple more days and then gradually reintroduce his normal exercise.