Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Assistant: How can I help? wetook our border collie for it

Assistant: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: wetook our border collie for it usual yearly booster jag and kennel cough but since then he has constant diarrohea can you recommend a treatment
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the Border Collie's name and age?
Customer: he is called murphy he is 7yrs we have had him for 6yrs
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Murphy?
Customer: no he still is very lively gets plenty of exercise gets a main meal at 5pm

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has he had these signs?

What does the diarrhea look like?

Any blood?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
He
got his annual check up kennel cough jab and something up his nose it is not complete waterey but far from solid no blood but a powerful smell also he breaks wind and stinks awful
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
already answered the questions can you help

Hi again,

I do apologize for my delay. I was called away to an emergency with a patient and it did take much longer then was expected.

With regards ***** ***** situation, if he has diarrhea post vaccination (it may be that he had a subclinical GI bug that has gained a foothold with the immune distraction of the vaccine), then we would want to start supportive care. For that, let's put him with small meals of a light diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and diarrhea. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion.

Furthermore, if he is very loose, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI. And if mild that may be all we need to do. Though if it persists over a few days, then we'd want his vet to reassess in case antibiotics need to be added in as well to settle this.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************
Afterwards, as I am giving you my own free time, please take a moment & rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site won't credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this & rating me now does not close your question. We can continue until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you! : ) **