Dr. Jaime
Dr. Jaime, Veterinarian
Experience:  Avian/exotic practice owner, 17 yrs. exotic rescue, 8 yrs. private practice, 2 yrs. wildlife medicine.
32340278

It looks like my hamster may have an ear wart. I have a

It looks like my hamster may have an ear wart. I have a picture.
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your hamster?
Customer: It looks like an ear wart
Assistant: Where does your hamster seem to hurt?
Customer: It doesn’t seem to hurt. He seems fine. But he has a growth coming out of his ear
Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is your hamster's name and age?
Customer: Smudge he’s about 10 months
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Smudge?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
The right is it now, the left was earlier.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Sorry other way round. The right was earlier and the left is now
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
This is now

Hello there,

I have seen lesions similar to this in hamsters with chronic dermatitis and otitis (often in conjunction with ringworm or mites). These can also be viral. Some of these can fall off on their own after they outgrow the blood supply or the underlying disease has been treated they may resolve. In other cases, if a viral etiology he will need it surgically removed. I would strongly recommend that you have your hamster tested for ringworm and mites, ears checked for infection that led to itchiness and then the abnormal tissue growth, and started on medication appropriate to the underlying issue. These can excoriate from the itching a bleed a lot so I would suggest he be seen sooner than later.

If it is bleeding a lot you can apply pressure or an ice cube in a thin sheet to slow down the bleeding.

For a list of vets in your area that see small mammals see: http://www.aemv.org

Please let me know if you have further questions, otherwise if you are satisfied with my response please leave me a rating.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Can I ask if it is contagious to other hamsters please? We also have a roborovski in a separate cage.

If it is ringworm or polyomavirus or mange, yes all those would be. Ringworm in hamsters is usually zoonotic (people can get it).

If it is a tumor then no. How many hamsters do you have and where are they located in relation to this hamster?

Sorry I see you just have one Robo- how close is the cage?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
The cage is on top of the other cage
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
dwarf in a big cage on the bottom roborvoski on the top in another cage

Okay, if possible, move the Robo into another room, or at bare minimum across the room. If ringworm, highly contagious and the Robo being above is not getting spores showered down. If ringworm is diagnosed from culture, and the dwarf is in a room with carpet it can still be contagious for awhile.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok thank you for your help

I wish you and your hammies all the best.