Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Have a chest infection and yesterday they gave her

have a chest infection and yesterday they gave her antibiotics but ahe is barely eating today and sleeps all the time and is lethargic. She is 9 weeks old no vaccines
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: dog
Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Eva
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Eva?
Customer: i have her for only 3 days and apparently she was sick when i took her

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes while I type my reply

I'm sorry to hear Eva is so unwell at such a young age. My concern is that at 9 weeks of age, she likely has very low body fat reserves and will be prone to dehydration, low blood sugar and hypothermia. It is possible her antibody levels are low, meaning she is not equipped to fight off infections. For many pups, at time of re-homing their stress levels rise, again opening them up to infection.

If she is not showing response to the medication given and is continuing to deteriorate, I would recommend bringing her back to the veterinary clinic. This is important because unwell puppies can go downhill so quickly and they can even pass away from infections at this age.

At the re-check, the vet will ensure that dehydration has not started to set in, as if it has, she will need to be admitted to the hospital for some intravenous fluids. Typically, sugars and salts are added to the drip if she needs them. IV antibiotics will also be added if she is not eating oral medication.

Another reason a hospital admit would be a good idea is that f her oxygen levels are low, she may benefit from some oxygen therapy, while if her temperature is low she can be actively warmed.

Some puppies will benefit from feeding tubes, while other takes well to syringe feeding. Puppies her age need to eat about every 6-8 hours or so to maintain normal blood sugar levels, so if she is not doing this, she will likely need some assisted feeding. Low blood sugar can cause tremors, seizures and even death.

While nursing at home is possible, if she is no eating or drinking, this can be very difficult. It takes a lot of commitment and an experienced owner.

Many puppies with chest infections will develop fevers, nausea and lethargy; all of which reduce appetite. There are some medications available which can help counteract these symptoms.

I have my fingers crossed for your little one and am wishing Eva a speedy recovery.

It has been a pleasure helping you out today, and I hope that you feel I have earned a five-star rating. Please remember to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen, otherwise the website will not compensate me for my time. There is no extra charge for this (it’s included in your question fee). Even after rating, you are more than welcome to continue asking questions. Thank you, ***** *****

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
What can i do until tomorrow when we can go to the vet? Can i give her some kids nurofen or milk to feed her?

Thank you for the kind accept.

If she is lethargic, dehydrated and deteriorating she would ideally be brought to a 24 hour clinic tonight. The sooner she is treated the better her chance of recovery. Simply call your local vet and they will have an answering message advising of the closest emergency vet

I would definitely NOT give any form of Nurofen or other human medicine as just small amounts can be toxic in dogs of any sizes, particularly puppies.

The best thing to feed her would be warm boiled chicken. If she is not eating, mix warm water with the chicken to make a tasty broth for her to drink. Cow milk would likely upset her tummy, though if you have puppy milk you could try that.

She needs to be kept warm, and keep stress levels low by letting her sleep and not overwhelming her.