Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

Our 4 month old kitten bug had his first bout of diarrhoea

Our 4 month old kitten bug had his first bout of diarrhoea on Friday night. We took him to the vet on Monday and she prescribed antibiotics, gastro paste for his stomach lining, gave him some painkillers and some cat food for his sensitive stomach. He is not having diarrhoea in his litter tray but all over the house and he runs around whilst doing it.
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: His name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bug?
Customer: He is eating, but not really drinking and is playful but after he has pood all over the house sleeps a lot

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a veterinarian with more than 25 years of experience. I'm here to help you with your question about Bug's diarrhea. I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

You may ignore any automated prompts for a phone call, but - if you wish - I am available for that as well.

To start with, I want to let you know you are not alone. This is a very common, and usually very frustrating, problem for a lot of kitten owners. You are off to a good start with what you've tried already, but please don't give up hope. All veterinarians end up dealing with kittens who have diarrhea like this who do NOT respond to the first form of treatment we try. Usually we manage to get things under control by trying a few different medications in succession if the first thing we try doesn't work.

(typing more...)

Your vet will want to know that Bug is still having diarrhea and will most likely have another treatment recommendation for you. With kittens who aren't acting sick otherwise and who continue to eat and grow and play, it can take a while to get the problem solved. My favorite medications to try are Albon, metronidazole, fenbendazole, and Tylan. Your vet will likely have their favorites, too (with different names for the United Kingdom). Regardless, most kittens get over this type of diarrhea on ONE of these medications. Rarely, a kitten will come along who doesn't improve on any of these, but then just seems to outgrow the diarrhea. Regardless, it's not at all common for it to last.

In the meantime, you'll need to confine bug to a smaller area like a small bathroom or laundry room with food, water, and litterbox and a floor that's easily cleaned.

I'm so sorry you're going through this.

Is there anything else I can help you with or now? I really do want to be as helpful as possible.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We have had him since he was 5 weeks old and he has never done this outside of his litter tray before and has always used it perfectly, until now . Are there any reasons for this diarrhoea that you could think of ?

Right, and we can be hopeful that once the diarrhea resolves, he'll go back to using the box again. He can't help missing the box right now, just because of the urgency, frequency, and volume of the diarrhea.

The most common reasons for diarrhea like this include:

• infectious agents (bacterial, viral, protozoal)
  • parasitic
  • dietary intolerance
  • other inflammatory or auto-immune diseases

We usually never do the necessary testing to find out WHY a kitten has diarrhea like this, instead focusing on symptomatic treatment options, AND they usually get better before we have to resort to finding out what's causing it.

I hope this information has been helpful to you. Please let me know if there's anything else I can do for you. If that's it for now, please take a moment to rate my response with 5 STARS so I may receive credit for chatting with you. Thank you for using JustAnswer.
-Dr. Jo