Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My kitten of 8 months Meanie has not been well. Assistant:

My kitten of 8 months Meanie has not been well.
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your kitten?
Customer: he vomited 3 times on Monday, he was seen by a vet and given antibiotics, however he vomited on Wednesday, Thursday, yesterday
Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your kitten eat anything unusual?
Customer: He had some chicken bones although he has had these before. He also had some milk from my younger kitten’s bowl. He had high temperature when we took him to the vet on Monday and he has not gone to the toilet since Sunday.
Assistant: What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Meanie
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Meanie?
Customer: Yesterday he was nibbling on his food. And he ate a little this morning. However he has not ate anything sinxe
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Meanie is also lethargic and will not chase his favourite toys, try his favourite treats and does not want to stay in the same room as us.

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few moments while I type my reply

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear Meanie has not been himself and is taking a long time to recover.

As he has now been vomiting for five or six days, I would begin to worry about dehydration in a cat of his age. This is particularly so as he has not been eating very much.

For most young cats, if they do pick up an infection or become unwell, this will only last 1-2 days, but poor Meanie does not seem to be improving. There are several reasons that this may be, but at this stage he should be re-assessed by a vet.

My main concerns would be a possible foreign body/blockage. This, for example, may have been caused by the chicken bones or may be something else entirely. Though he has had chicken bones before, this does not mean they cannot pose an issue, and bones have the potential to splinter, fragment and obstruct the gut. In a young cat, they can really eat anything, from Christmas decorations to cat toys, and even the most attentive owner can't keep them away from everything.

I am particularly worried about an obstruction as it has been so long since he has gone to the toilet and he is lethargic. To check for one, a vet will usually perform an x-ray or ultrasound of the abdomen.

There are other possibilities, such as a severe gastritis, pancreatitis, infection or a parasite burden, but we should really be ruling out a blockage first.

Other diagnostics, such as blood tests, may be useful to determine if there is an underlying infection or any other issues going on.

He may benefit from a fluid drip, some pain relief, anti-acids and some anti-nausea medicine.

I would suggest the sooner he is re-assessed the better as we can start with our diagnostics and get him better once again.

In the mean time, I would avoid milk or other dairy products which can upset his stomach. Instead, I would stick to boiled white chicken and rice, as well as water.

It has been a pleasure helping you out today, and I hope that you feel I have earned a five-star rating. Please remember to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen, otherwise the website will not compensate me for my time. There is no extra charge for this (it’s included in your question fee). Even after rating, you are more than welcome to continue asking questions. Thank you, ***** *****

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your detailed answer. I will definitely keep him away from dairy and will give him some boiled chicken breast.
Unfortunately, due to being a student, I am not in the financial position to afford to take him to the vet again. On Monday when he was given a cerenia injection, convenia injection and a metacam injection, I ended up paying £105 which has left me with £100 for food and travel until the end of the month.
Is there any charity or any alternative you can recommend as I am really concerned for Meanie and knowing that I can’t take him really upsets me.
Also if I was to give him anti-acids or any other medication,is there any possibility to purchase them from else where. Only a visit to the vet is £40 which I really can’t afford.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I also tried contacting RSPCA as on their website, it says that they can help with veterinary fees however there has been no answer after calling, emailing and texting.
Or if there is anything I can do for Meanie from home in order to make him feel better

Absolutely, a charity would be the next best option. Given the symptoms you mention, I do not think it would be in his best interest to treat him at home.

In the UK, we have the PDSA and RSPCA (as you mention), who work with students to provide affordable vet care. You would just need to show them proof that you are a student (such as a student card). You also need to ensure you live in their catchment area, so do ring ahead. From experience, there are very busy and you can be waiting to get through on the phone for a long time, so do persevere!

There are a number of other charities about, such as Celia Hammond and Blue Cross, so do ring around to find the best options in your area.

Alternative options would be to ask if your vet provide a payment plan (so you could pay a portion of the bill each month), or perhaps to put the expense on credit.

While it won't be useful in this current situation, going forward, it would be well worth considering some pet insurance to cover the cost of any future illnesses or injuries.

If Meanie does have an obstruction, there is a risk that his gut will be deprived of blood supply and will die off. In the worst case scenario, this can cause death. Of course, while we would be hopeful that he does not have an obstruction, we need to consider the fact that he might and get him seen to ASAP.

A bland diet (chicken/fish/potato/egg/rice) little and often, rest, keeping him warm and hydrated will only help if he is recovering from a stomach upset or infection. Ant-acids can be given, and we will typically give Omeprazole at a dose of 0.5-1mg/kg every 24 hours. So a 3kg cat would be given 1/4 of a 10mg tablet. These can be purchased from human pharmacies such as Boots without prescription.

Thank you for the kind accept and please feel free to ask any further questions you may have an to keep me updated on little Meanie. All the best, ***** *****