Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Our dog has just gone very stiff, unable to walk and very

Our dog has just gone very stiff, unable to walk and very shaking with drooling at the mouth, almost like he’s having a fit but he’s aware of his surroundings. He’s calmed down now and can walk but his breathing is still very shallow and heavy. This has happened once before but over 6 months ago.
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: There is no wound but he has been licking them more a lot more then usual over the past few days
Assistant: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Marley
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Marley?
Customer: I don’t think so

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Marley. You appear to be describing a complex partial seizure (also called psychomotor seizure) which is described as abnormal focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity affecting any part of the body and which may be associated with autonomic signs, (e.g., salivation, vomiting) and is associated with a change in mentation (mental status) and/or behavioral abnormalities. (If consciousness is lost a general seizure - previously called gran mal, is diagnosed.) Sleep is the most common post-ictal (post-seizure) symptom. Mark your calendar for this event and for just what you witnessed. Marley's vet will need all the information you can gather when deciding if he should be prescribed an anticonvulsant drug. Most of us will accept one mild (lasting less than 5 minutes, no thrashing about, no loss of consciousness) event monthly before prescribing such a drug. Should Marley suffer another event within 24 hours of this one clustering is diagnosed and that may presage status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't abate unless I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. He would then need the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience.

Seizures first arising between the ages of 1-5 years are usually considered idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy. Seizures arising after 6 years of age are often caused by brain tumor or, less commonly, adult onset epilepsy. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

(Licking of the feet often indicates allergic dermatitis, in particular, atopy (allergies to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, dust mites) and food intolerance. It isn't related to seizure activity.)

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.