Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Is it safe/easy to cut a Guinea Pig's toenails? How often

Hi, Is it safe/easy to cut a Guinea Pig's toenails? How often should it be done and, if we go to a vet, how much should we expect to pay?
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
It is certainly safe as long as it is done correctly.
Ensure one person is restraining the guinea pig confidently. Use a small cat (or similar) nail clippers to trim the tip of the claws. Avoid the blood vessel/quick which would bleed and cause pain if nicked. On a white claw it can be seen as a pink/purple lone within the claw.
If you make a claw bleed it means you are trimming too high up. Apply corn starch to stem bleeding.
Vets charge varying amounts but in my experience it is anything from £7 to £15.
I do hope that this answer has been helpful and please do not forget to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen so I may be compensated for my time. Even after rating we can continue the conversation. All the best, ***** *****