Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I've got a French bulldog and he has a sore/small lump on

I've got a French bulldog and he has a sore/small lump on his front left lef underneath the pad on the rear of his leg. He is 2 years old,
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the French Bulldog's name?
Customer: Tee
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tee?
Customer: No, he is up to date on all boosters etc
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Added Photo

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes while I type my reply

Thank you for that clear photo, it really helps.

How long has the lump been there and has it changed since first detected?

Is it bothering Tee at all (does he lick/chew at it)?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi there, it has been there for a week or so that i have noticed, he had a sore there once before which went away after using some leucillin spray on it. I have started putting the spray on this again, but it appears larger or more swollen than it did before, although it looks less angry. He does lick the paw when he lies down to sleep, but he has always done that to a degree since he was small so its hard to judge really if its more than usual. He isnt limping or obviously in pain and is happy in himself.

Great thanks for that additional info.

In a 2 year old Frenchie, the two most common lumps I diagnose are papillomas (warts) and histiocytomas (benign growths that tend to go away by themselves in 2-3 months). While from a picture alone it is impossible to say for sure what is going on, I would be most suspicious of a histiocyomta in this case. As there is a small amount of scabbing/dried blood it may be that he caught when he had a lick.

Another consideration would be something called a 'lick granuloma' which is basically an irritated and thickened area of skin that has developed secondary to excessive licking.

Try to discourage any licking. You can clap loudly when he tries to lick and distract him with toys/a walk/ a puzzle. If he is becoming obsessive about it, use a buster collar until he stops. It may take a few days of the cone before he learns.

You can clean the growth daily with warm salty water to keep it clean and prevent infection. Leucillin spray is also a great choice.

The only real way to know what a lump is, would be to take a sample from it (FNA or biopsy). If you are particularly concerned, you could get this done now but I would be happy to wait and monitor this growth for now. If it is changing/growing or causing Tee issues it should be sampled. Similarly, if after a few months it is not gone, sampling would be wise.

It has been a pleasure helping you out today, and I hope that you feel I have earned a five-star rating. Please remember to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen, otherwise the website will not compensate me for my time. There is no extra charge for this (it’s included in your question fee). Even after rating, you are more than welcome to continue asking questions. Thank you, ***** *****

Thank you for the kind accept and please feel free to keep me updated on Tee.