Jav917
Jav917,
5071285

We have a guinea pig, a lad who is 1 kg in weight. It seems

Hi there. We have a guinea pig, a young lad who is 1 kg in weight. It seems that he is suffering quite badly from bloat, as he is not passing at all, struggling to pass water, has a bloated tummy and laboured breathing. He is usually very active but isn’t budging. Is there anything we can give him to help him out?
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the guinea pig's name?
Customer: Storm
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Storm?
Customer: He has seen the vet locally who has given Metacam for the pain, and Baytril, and ranitidine. I’m no expert, but I’m not very confident in the vet as we have taken him three times to see them and it would appear that they are grasping at straws. He had a next ray two nights ago and there is no stones present,Nor is there a buildup of faecal matter.

My Name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet Tech for over 35 years and have special interest in small exotics.

What is going on with your Piggie? I think part of you post is missing.

Joan

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The poor lad is suffering from a very sore tummy, bloated, not passing pellets, laboured breathing (crackling when he breathes), and a lack of energy.

Thank you! It sounds like your Piggie is suffering with a GI stasis. We need to start with an abdominal massage to help with the gas. You can give 1 ccof Pediatric Gas drops like Myclon to help relieve the bloating. You need to try and feed by grinding up the pellets and adding some infant electrolyte replacer and make a slurry to get food going in. You can also give the electrolytes for fluid.

This will help get the gut going. Offer grass hay if he will take it. I would also ask the vet for a gut Motility medication. There are several we use one is Reglan which will help move the food in the GI Tract.

We need to get the stomach going.

Please reply to discuss this. The Pain medication will hellp as well as the other medications.

Joan

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for your advice. I have given him a massage until it got too uncomfortable for him. Is Myclon an off the shelf product, or would I need to go to a pharmacy?

In the US we can buy at grocery stores in the infant isle or the Pharmacy. The are infant Gas drops you can give 1 cc an hour for 3 hours to help relieve the gas. I was wondering if they did an X ray to rule out a blockage. That would be a good thing to do. A blockage can cause this problem.

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He has had an X ray and this ruled out blockages. Many thanks for your help to this point, I hope it helps him get better.

I will keep good thoughts for her. The GI stasis is what I suspect. Try the feeding and the gas drops and stay with the medications given.

The Rating system is at the top of the page and would appreciate 5 stars.

Joan