Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My kitten is about 7 weeks old. When we got him at 6 weeks

my kitten is about 7 weeks old. When we got him at 6 weeks old (we thought he was 8 weeks old, but our vet estimated 6 weeks old) his first night he was lively, eating and drinking and his stools were firm. Two days later his stools were runny and his appetite is not so great, he's probably only having a meal a day as he refuses to eat. He still drinks water. He was on kitten milk but the vet asked us to stop. He is on probiotics and wormer. However, I'm off work today and noticed he is disinterested in play or he is lethargic? He is asleep now. I'm really worried about him.
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your kitten. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your kitten?
Customer: He has sleep around his eyes most mornings, I use saline to wash this away and he sneezes occasionally. He seeks comfort and reassurance often .

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few moments while I type my response

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no thank-you typing is ok

I'm sorry to hear your little kitten is not doing so great. It's reassuring to know he has been assessed by the vet, however it sounds as though he is taking steps backwards rather than forwards right now.

When a kitten is taken away from their mother at a young age, it is not unheard of for them to struggle to cope as they may not have completely finished weaning and are still somewhat reliant on their mother. Having said that, the majority of kitties who leave mum too early go on to do just fine.

The probiotics and wormer should be continued as will help to address any internal parasites and should solidify the stool.

Young kittens have very low body fat and water reserves so the risk is that they can become dehydrated very quickly if not eating properly or if suffering with diarrhoea. As your little one is now showing signs of lethargy, this may be a sign of dehydration. You might also notice his gums feel sticky and dry rather than wet and slippery.

As kittens can go downhill quickly, I would want this little man re-assessed by a vet immediately. He likely needs some form of rehydration (whether it is via an oral rehydration solution, subcutaneous fluids injections or a drip) and we need to get him back to eating 3 to 4 meals a day. The vets should have some syringe feeding options for you so you can make him eat. Only eating once a day is nowhere near sufficient for a 7 wk old kitten and he will start to lose weight soon.

With sneezing and ocular discharge he may also have a mild upper respiratory tract infection. These kitties can feel under the weather and may have a mild fever. If their nose is stuffy they cannot smell their food as well, so may not have a great appetite. This is another reason why rehydrating him and making him eat is essential. If he does have a fever, the vet can give you some medicine to bring this down.

You could try to encourage him to eat with warm chicken/white fish or a warmed up wet kitten food. Warming it up can help to release the tastes and aromas. Offer it on your finger. You can also mix warm water in, to encourage more drinking. However, it sounds as if he is at the stage where he may not take to this and will need some additional vet help.

While kittens can become poorly quickly, they can also recover just as quickly. Fingers crossed with just a day or two of treatment he will begin to thrive once again.

It has been a pleasure helping you out today, and I hope that you feel I have earned a five-star rating. Please remember to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen, otherwise the website will not compensate me for my time. There is no extra charge for this (it’s included in your question fee). Even after rating, you are more than welcome to continue asking questions. Thank you, ***** *****

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thank-you I needed to hear that. My friend was telling me what he was going through was normal but my gut was saying this isn't right. Thank-you I will phone the vets now

I think it's for the best. It's never wrong to see the vet and even if he does turn out to be just fine, the vet will still be happy you brought him. Wishing him all the best for a very speedy recovery. Please feel free to keep me updated. Dr Linda