Jav917
Jav917,
5071285

My dog is not happy he can't jump up on the couch and wants

My dog is not happy he can't jump up on the couch and wants to lie flat with his legs out. He is panting alot and is tense in his tummy.
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?
Customer: He is very tense in his stomach region and just wants to lie out flat with his legs stretched out. He doesn't want to jump up and is panting and shaking.
Assistant: What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Timmy ang he is 10
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Timmy?
Customer: No

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet Tech for over 35 years.

Can you tell me what breed your dog is?

If you check him over does he flintch if you touch his back?

Does he have feeling in his back legs?

Joan

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
terrier he does flinch a bit when you touch his back above his bum. He can walk but keeps dropping to the floor and wants to lie on the cold slabs or grass.

TThank you! I had your other response closed and we can work here.

I suspect he hurt is Back he may have a herniated disc. The first thing we need to do is restrict his activity. I know that is hard with a JRT. but is is most important.

More to come.

We need to apply warmth to his spinal area. You can do this by filling a sock with uncooked rice and tieing it, warm in the microwave, wrap in a towel and apply to his back. This should make him feel better. I know you are in the UK, so if you have Aspirin there, we can give 5 mg per 19 pounds of body weight every 12 hours for pain with food. He must not be allowed to move around and if you have a crate that would be ideal. He needs to be carried out to the urinate and defecate and carried back in. Keep food and water close by.

A spinal issue will cause his back to tense up. I suggest seeing a Vet for an Xray as soon as possible. I know it is 11pm there and you would have to go to an Emergency Vet, so I am trying to off relief until he can be seen. If he gets worse then an ER Vet visit will be a must, so I hope we can make him comfortable.

Please reply to discuss this information. When I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan