Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I think my cat is displaying signs of a urinary tract

I think my cat is displaying signs of a urinary tract infection. Does she need immediate veterinary attention?
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections your cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is your cat's name and age?
Customer: Suki and she is 16
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Suki?
Customer: No

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but wanted to touch base with you. Provided Suki can pass some urine, this will be uncomfortable for her but not an emergency.

So you can monitor until her local vet is available (some have Sunday hours or out of hours contacts if you ring the practice). Any delay, t o give her some relief at the moment, you can try to increase her urine dilution via increasing her fluid intake. This can be achieved by tempting her to drink or you can offer wet food, (as this is 35% water) to sneak some water into her system. As well, aloe vera berry juice (available at health food stores) can be helpful in changing the urine pH and making the bladder more comfortable. Now while these urine dilution steps will help flush out bacteria and soothe that inflamed bladder, it often won't clear the infection on its own so again once her vet is open we'd want her +/- a urine sample tested as antibiotics and kitty safe pain relief may be needed to nip this in the bud.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************
Afterwards, as I am giving you my own free time, please take a moment & rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site won't credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this & rating me now does not close your question. We can continue until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you! : ) **