Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat has been sneezing for a few weeks, no discharge, no

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: My cat has been sneezing for a few weeks, no discharge, no of her food or water, shes going to loo as normal happy to go out side ect and is no more sleepy then normal however yesterday a noticed a lump under her eye and today it seems bigger its not tender and nor is her eye weeping its slightly closed but no clouding in the eye or redness
JA: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: no

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my reply.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you

I'm sorry to hear your cat has been having this issue.

When you consider the sneezing along with this new swelling, there are 2 things I would strongly consider.

1) Dental disease. Cats with a mouth abscess or rotten tooth may sneeze and can also develop a swelling under they eye. While these cats may show other symptoms such as bad breath or red gums, this is not always the case. A vet would need to perform a thorough oral exam to check for any issues within the mouth. Though we see dental disease more commonly in older cats, it can happen in absolutely any age.

2) A foreign body. Sometimes, cats will inhale a blade of grass or something similar by mistake and it can get stuck. As the body struggles to break it down it causes irritation, hence the sneezing. Over time, it can cause a local infection (abscess) which may result in a swelling.

There are other potential causes, such as a tumour, allergy or trauma but these would be less likely given the presentation.

It's reassuring that she is otherwise well, but we do need to look into this further. I would suggest a vet check ASAP to look inside her mouth and nose and to assess her all over (checking for any lymph node swelling, fever etc).

If she has dental disease, she will likely need a dental treatment to remove any rotten teeth, as well as antibiotics.

A foreign body might need a sedation and a small camera to find and remove the offending object. Sometimes, the body takes care of the foreign body itself, and medication alone is all that is needed.

It has been a pleasure helping you out today, and I hope that you feel I have earned a five-star rating. Please remember to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen, otherwise the website will not compensate me for my time. There is no extra charge for this (it’s included in your question fee). Even after rating, you are more than welcome to continue asking questions. Thank you, ***** *****

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for this information.
I have opened her jaw and checked her gums as she has not teeth in that area she is not upset or in pain when I do this and I can not see any swelling to the gums

Not at all.

When you say she has no teeth, are they missing or have they been extracted? Sometimes, cats will 'resorb' their teeth, meaning they are under the gum, and this may be what is causing the issue.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
she lost them all about 3-4 years ago
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
well minus her fangs at the front and a couple others at the front

Ok, thanks for this.

It is possible that she has what is called a 'tooth root remnant', meaning that perhaps when a tooth was extracted a part of the root was left behind. This can certainly cause sneezing and local swelling. Given her history of having lost so many teeth, I would be very suspicious that this is where the problem has originated. As well as having a good look in her mouth, the vet will likely want to x-ray the area, as this is the only way to see what is going on under the gum line.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, many thanks again for your help I shall book an appointment

Absolutely. Please feel free to keep me updated.