Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Being sick now and again, Dog, Just being sick sometimes no

Being sick now and again
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Dog
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: Just being sick sometimes no loss of appatite
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: It doesnt
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: Just a dry cough sometimes
JA: Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 10 tommy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
SeeMs ok otherwise

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long have you been seeing these signs?

How often is he sick (ie daily, in the mornings, more or less)?

What does the vomit look like?

Are his gums (or inner eyelids) pink, yellow, or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press firmly on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human medications/drugs, etc)?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just off and on he loves his toys and licks them a lot vomit it usually sort of frothy today was brownish no blood doesn’t seem tender gums pink
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Dry cough sometimes like a bark

Hi again,

Now chronic intermittent vomiting and dry coughing is a tricky one. This is because it could be from an underlying GI issue (ie gut infection, low grade pancreatitis, bile reflux issues, stomach ulcer, etc) but can also be triggered by inflammation in the throat (ie chronic infection, tracheitis, etc). So, we do need to monitor Tommy but can try some general supportive care for each angle to see if we can get him settled. For that, to start we can try to reduce any nausea/GI upset with a OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Alternatively, since we have some throat suspicions here, we could also use a liquid antacid (Milk of Magnesia -0.25tsp every 12 hours). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Otherwise, to reduce throat irritation, we could also try a mild cough suppressant like glycerin/honey cough syrup (with no drugs in it) or even plain honey. Both can be very soothing to the irritated and tickly throat. Typically we will give a 1-2 milliliter (~1/4-1/2 teaspoon) as needed. Alternatively, you can try Robitussin DM. I would just say to make sure to use this preparation and avoid any similar syrups that may contain other medications like Paracetamol, Acetaminophen, Pseudoephedrine, Phenylephrine or caffeine (since these can be toxic). If it also contains Guaifenesin that is okay. Dose-wise, we tend to give this as 1/2 (half) teaspoon per 10lbs of the dog's body weight every 8-12 hours. And after all of these we can feed a soft, bland diet (easy on the throat and stomach) like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too.

Overall, his signs do raise a few concerns here. Therefore, we can try the above to see if we can get Tommy more settled. If we can, we're happy. If this lingers, then we'd want a check up to check for those above concerns with a view to potentially starting antibiotics +/- symptomatic care (ie injectable anti-nausea medication, etc) to nip this in the bud.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
His toys are furry he is always licking them has done all his life could that be a cause

Hi again,

Its possible if he is eating the fluff/fur but I do sometimes find nauseous dogs will lick their toys as just a side effect of nausea (as some will eat grass). So, it can be a chicken or egg issue, but we could restrict him to non-fuzzy toys for a bit to see if the signs reduce with that removed from the equation.

Best wishes,

Dr. B

**************************
Afterwards, as I am giving you my own free time, please take a moment & rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site won't credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this & rating me now does not close your question. We can continue until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you! : ) **