Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  11 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, surgery, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

My dog has vestibular disease day 5 eyes of stopped

My dog has vestibular disease day 5 eyes of stopped flickering now still has head tilt is drinking water but for the last two days won't eat anything with assistance can stand now and is slowly walking when propped up is there any medication that would help with the dizziness
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wound on foot
Assistant: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sherry she's 17 it's the first time this had happened to her two hours before it happened she as fine walking no problems she does habe arthritis which she takes tramadol for and meloxicam and glucosamine
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: She hasn't had a pooh now for 4 days but she isn't eating she hasn't lost control of her bowels or bladder we carry her outside for a wee and assist her to stand for a wee but still wobbly

Hi, I can help you with your question today. How much does Sherry weigh?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
21 kg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It happened within like 2 hrs one min she was ok then the next like that

I don't know if Cerenia is available in Bulgaria, but this is a great medication for nausea. This medication is available by prescription only.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We live in the UK??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How long do they take to recover from this

Oh! The website told me you were from Bulgaria!! They usually improve a great deal in the first 3-4 days, but they will continue to improve over 2-3 weeks time.

Another option that we would consider for vestibular disease is Dramamine.

The active ingredient, meclizine, is used for motion sickness and can reduce nausea associated with vestibular signs.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is dramamine on prescription?? Would like a dogs travel sickness medication help she had improved to what she was like like today although stumbling and clumsy she walked a little herself she's just sleeping a lot but she slept a lot before anyway and I'm worried as she hasn't pood for 4 days

Dramamine is not prescription. She likely isn't defecating for two reasons - she isn't eating much and she isn't walking much. She should do both of these things to get her GI tract moving again.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In the UK we have pets at home that sell dog travel sickness tablets called Johnson's travel eze would these contain the sickness ingredients you mentioned or like a child's travel sickness tablet

The Johnson's tablets are simply ginger, this would not be very helpful. Let me see what else might be available in the UK.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm ok with messaging for now if that's ok

There are many differences in our OTC drug availability! I found one that might work for her. The brand name is ***** ***** promethazine is the generic.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thankyou I'll see if I can get that

You're welcome.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In the UK we have sturgeron that contains cinnarzine will that be the same would this help

No, the cinnarizine has no information for use in dogs. I found the Avomine at Super Drug.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I'll try Superdrug

OK!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there anything else I can do to help her other than lie I am doing plenty of tlc and rest and making sure she drinks

All we can really do is provide supportive care. Safety is a big issue, making sure she doesn't fall by blocking the stairs and preventing her from getting on the furniture. You can assist getting her outside with a towel rolled under her belly if she needs the help.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also I sorry how much would I give her
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thankyou Everso much you have been very helpful

The tablets are 25mg, she could get 1/4 tablet every 6-8 hours. You're welcome.