Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My kitten is around 8 months old i took him with his 3 other

Customer Question

Hi my kitten is around 8 months old i took him with his 3 other siblings as they were homeless and now just suddenly 2 days ago he has woken up with a red swollen eye, I thought it would get better but now it is way worse, completely shut and red with a lot of discharge, he is very weary and his other eye is also getting affected now, is there anything that I can do
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Ginger
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ginger?
Customer: He is an outdoor cat, we have a house for him and my other cats outside, that’s all there is, he is a very healthy cat.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He is also making strange noises almost like a sneeze and a cough at the same time
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please note that experts aren't allowed to prescribe prescription drugs in this venue.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Ginger. The feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) is the most common of the infectious respiratory agents that cause the sneezing/coughing and conjunctivitis Ginger is experiencing. Thankfully, it usually goes into remission unaided within 1-3 weeks. The bacteria Mycoplasma and Chlamydophila can be found in conjunction with FHV-1 or as sole infecting agents but they, too, should go into remission unaided in that time frame. In the case in which my patient doesn't improve within the initial 10 days from the onset of symptoms, I'll prescribe the antibiotic of choice - doxycycline - to address those bacteria. Because Ginger's eye is significantly involved in his infection, his vet will want to examine it closely. A broad spectrum antibiotic ophthalmic product is likely to be prescribed if only to address suspected bacterial infection. If you happen to have a human antibacterial ophthalmic ointment at home please let me know. It might be of value for Ginger. We consider an antiviral ophthalmic product if the antibiotic ophthalmic product isn't helpful. Antibiotics don't address viruses such as FHV-1 but I can prescribe the oral antiviral drug famciclovir if I believe that a serious case of FHV-1 is brewing.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for replying, so do you think I should wait around 10 days and see if there is any kind of improvement ?

Ordinarily, yes, but I'm quite concerned about that badly affected eye and now the other eye acting up. FHV-1 can cause significant damage to the cornea and even blindness if the cornea ruptures due to deep ulceration caused by the virus. I would be more comfortable knowing that a vet took a look at those eyes if only to prescribe an antibacterial ophthalmic ointment which would address primary Mycoplasmal and Chlamydophilal infections or mixed bacterial infections secondary to FHV-1. Please continue our conversation if you wish.