MsAM
MsAM,
6012901

My rabbit is only 11 weeks old (a mini lop) and he got

Hi! My rabbit is only 11 weeks old (a mini lop) and he got examined by a vet about 2 weeks ago. Today I’ve noticed he’s occasionally making a sneeze noise when he eats his hay and he has a slightly wet nose. He is my first rabbit so i’m extremely paranoid, but I don’t know if it’s normal for hay to make them sneeze?
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the rabbit's name?
Customer: Pluto
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pluto?
Customer: No
Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged in and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 40 years of experience raising and showing rabbits.If the hay is a bit dusty, it can cause sneezing. It also can if Pluto has gotten a bit of hay in a nostril. But the symptoms can also indicate the beginning of a respiratory infection. It’s ok to be a bit paranoid about pets. I am, too. You can catch things early that way. Was ch for discharge from his nose or eyes, lack of energy, or appetite loss. If any of those things occur, you’ll need to see a vet right away.If it seems your hay is dusty, I would switch to a better brand. I like Oxbow. If you have more concerns, just let me know. I’m glad to help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much for your response!
He has a slightly damp nose but no visible discharge, but he eats a lot and still runs around. However, I will change his hay to make sure and see how he goes.Could I just ask: As for bedding, is straw better than wood chippings?

You’re welcome. For some reason, I was only just now notified that you had replied. The best bedding is actually one that is paper-based, such as CareFresh brand. Other paper-based beddings should be available in larger pet shops. Wood-based bedding, especially aspen, are also ok. Pine and cedar should not be used. They contain volatile oils which can cause respiratory and skin issues. I don’t like to use straw because we can never be sure if the quality. It can contain mold and dust. It also tends to hold moisture from a rabbit’s urine. It’s better to use a bedding made for small animals.