MsAM
MsAM,
6012901

I have a horsefield tortoise and she will not open her eyes.

I have a horsefield tortoise and she will not open her eyes. Also I noticed her throat looks a bit red.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the horse's name and age?
Customer: The pet I am asking about is a Tortoise. Her name is Spring. 3 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Spring?
Customer: Apart from what I have already told you, no.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have added three photos of the tortoise
Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged in and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I’m sorry that Spring is not well. Based on the pictures, she is very ill. There will not be any home treatment that will help. She needs to be seen by a reptile vet as soon as possible. A pink tinge to the skin can indicate septicemia or other serious conditions. She may also have an eye infection or respiratory infection. This site has a directory of reptile vets:http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlistSpring may also be dehydrated. You can help with that by giving her a special soak. You’ll need some Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants). Prepare a shallow bath consisting of half Pedialyte and half water. Soak Spring for 20 to 30 minutes. Be sure to supervise closely. This bath will not cure anything, but may help keep up her strength until you can see the vet.If you have more concerns, just let me know. I hope Spring will reach a full recovery.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Anna, thank you for the information. I found a local vet and was prescribed antibiotics for the infection.
I think the problem for me will be administering the antibiotics because Spring will not open her mouth willingly. I have very fine hyperemic needles from a vet I saw. Will I be able to give her the medicine using those? Would I be able to put the needle into her mouth in order to squirt it in or not? If not, I will have to get help to open her mouth. Or could I inject it into her neck?
Thanks Lenise

Hello Lenise. You are going to need to give the vet who prescribed the antibiotics a call. Some antibiotics are injected. Some are given by mouth. It isn't necessarily safe to change how they are given. Th vet should have shown you how to begin with.

For respiratory infection, the antibiotics are usually injected, but never into the neck. A leg is the most common site, but there is another one on the lower body that is used sometimes. This is something where it really is important to have the vet show you what to do.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** help now to give Spring her antibiotics.
I really appreciate the advice.