Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat seems depressed,not playing and does,nt seem to be

my cat seems depressed,not playing and does,nt seem to be using litter tray and is off her food
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is your cat's name and age?
Customer: her name is ***** ***** she is 9yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rossi?
Customer: just seems to want to sleep and won,t play with her twin sister as she used to
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. I do apologise that your question was not answered more promptly and hope that I can still be of help.
When you say not using her tray, is she going outside of her trat or has she just not passed any urine or faeces recently? If so , when was the last time they were each passed?
You say that Rossi seems depressed and isn't eating. How long has this been going on for?
Will she eat or drink anything?
Can you think of anything that precipitated this e.g. a stressful event, change in diet?
Does she have outdoor access or access to any toxins e.g. house plants, cleaning chemicals?
Any other sytmpoms e.g. vomiting, diarrhoea, bad breath, fast breathing, itchy skin?
When was the last time she had a full health check?
Thank you for your answers which will help me provide you with a more accurate response.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi Linda
As far as we know she goes to the toilet when she goes out once a day for approx 15 minutes only
Nothing in the house .
she only eats her dry food we think!
She used to like a bit of tuna but doesn’t eat that unless it’s fresh
Been like this for a couple of weeks now
No other symptoms like you asked about
Just very lethargic and seems to sleep all the time
She is bullied by her sister all the time and she seems very nervous about everything
About 6 months since last check
John
Thank you for this response. If she is going outside to do her business then this is not necessarily a concern. In fact, it is not unusual when there is more than one cat in the home that the less dominant cat will not feel comfortable enough to use the tray as this is akin to 'marking their territory' in the home, which they do not feel comfortable doing. Rossi may feel that the litter trays are not for her. In a 2 cat household its recommended to have 3 trays. They should be in quiet areas of the home. As cats get older they are sometimes not as good at using trays with a big lip, so consider a tray that is closer to the ground.
As long as she is eating the appropriate amount of dry food and is not losing weight or under weight than this is fine. A complete dry kibble will have all of their nutrients. The packet should say on the back how much she needs to eat each day so consider weighing her daily portion with a kitchen scales and checking if it is adequate.
Her sleepy behaviour may be a normal change now that she is aging or may be a stress response due to the other cat. It could also be an indication that something is going on health wise.
With a normal health check 6 months ago and the lack of other symptoms, a health issue is less likely. Having said this, with any behaviour change it can be worth having a vet check to ensure there is no subtle issue that is hard for an owner to spot such as a heart murmur or rotten back tooth.
With regards ***** ***** cat, many cats do not get on well and the typical cat prefers to be alone. While we are unlikely to be able to convince them to be best friends, there are things we can do to help.
Ensure both cats have all of their own resources (bed, cat tree, toys, food bowls etc) and a space that is their own where they can go to get some alone time.
Consider the use of a plug-in adaptor such as Feliway Friends, which can encourage bonding.
For Rossi, she may well benefit from some daily calming supplements in her food to reduce any stress. These are very safe and do not cause any side effects.
She may be feeling a bit bored at the moment so I would encourage the use of plenty of interactive toys (such as lasers and wind-up mice) as well as food puzzles to keep her mind active as she gets older.
In summary, we should address things to ensure the other cat is not stressing her too much and a vet check may be a good idea.
I do hope that this answer has been helpful and please do not forget to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen so I may be compensated for my time. Even after rating we can continue the conversation. All the best, ***** *****