Dr. Diane
Dr. Diane, Veterinarian
Experience:  30 years exp. in small animal and emergency medicine!
47858

My dog is 58 days pregnant. everything looks fine just her

hello, my dog is 58 days pregnant. everything looks fine just her temp drop to 37,5°C. i suppose to go to work tomorrow morning and im not sure if the temp means she is going to labour
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: she looks sleepy snd doesn't want to go out for wee...but she still eats and drinks
Hello I'm Dr Diane and will be happy to help
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello, do you think she could go to labour or it is still too early? her normal temp in last 3 days was 38,5 - 38,1
typically her temperature drops and within 48 hours labor will begin. Usually there will be other signs too such as panting hard, restlessness, tearing up bedding, possibly not eating. And then of course contractions. Have you had her x-rayed so you know how many pups to expect?
it could be soon. Her temp has been low enough.
Maybe by tmr am before work you will notice other signs of impending whelping as described above. She may also whimper/whine and act clingy to you if she has not whelped before
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
she had scan and her vet said she can see 2 pups but she also said there could be more as it was too early to say....about 3 weeks ago
Sorry I was mixing up my celcius conversion. Her temp can drop lower usually 98-99 F which is more like 37C or possibly slightly lower
it may drop another day or so but it sound like it has started to drop
What breed of dog is she?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
she is Manchester terrier
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it will be her first litter
Ok, well 58 days is a little early (if you are sure of the correct breeding date) so you may still have a day or two. But keep checking her temp twice a day and observe her carefully for other signs.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok, thank you
i will check her temp tomorrow morning and see if there is any other symptoms and also for peace of mind I'll ask my daughter to stay with her. i thought is little bit early, i just wanted make sure. thank you
Your very welcome. Usually bitches whelp at night (but not always) so if your daughter can stay with her while you are at work, that sounds like a good solution. My last litter of pups, my bitch started whelping at 10am. Usually she would have pups starting at night, so you never know 😂
Please let me know when she has them and how it went! Feel free to post back on this question even after accepting my answer. Please press the Accept button if I have helped you today so I am credited for my time assisting you. Pressing Accept does not cost you anymore, and only by pressing accept, am I compensated. Positive Feedback is always appreciated! Thank you again and have a great day! Dr. Diane
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
at night is better option for me as if i go to work im not able to go home till my shift finish.
thank you again..it calm me down a bit. i think im more stressed than my girl :-)