Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

We have a 9 week old cockapoo. She has raw mince to eat and

Customer Question

Hi we have a 9 week old cockapoo. She has raw mince to eat and water (advised from the lady we had her from) She is now very constipated any advise what we can give her or do we need to visit the vets thankyou Bethan Wales UK
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the Cockapoo's name?
Customer: Rosie Pops!
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rosie?
Customer: no, just that she is 9 weeks old. Rosie doesn't eat the biscuits if they are mixed in with the mince or if they are given on their own.
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 3 months ago.

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.

One moment as I type my response.

I'm sorry you've been having this issue with your new puppy.

Whether to feed a raw diet or not is a personal decision and I appreciate that this is what Rosie was given by her breeder. From my experience, raw diets can be problematic, particularly in young pups. I have seen several cases of food poisoning in my clinic. You say the diet is 'raw mince'. Is this just literally raw mince meat from the butchers? If so, this is not an appropriate diet. Raw diets for dogs need to either be pre-made e.g. https://www.viovet.co.uk/Nutriment-Raw-Complete-Puppy-Formula/c28840/?quick_find=203428&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzsqi99-V4QIVR7DtCh22vQGUEAYYAiABEgIJivD_BwE or supplemented at home with the additional iodine, calcium and other micronutrients that meat alone will lack. This is especially true if she is refusing her kibble.

Such a rich diet will likely result in stomach upset/diarrhoea/constipation.

If you are keen to stick with a raw diet, you will either have to opt for a pre-prepared one or will need to find a suitable home-made recipe that is balanced. If you wish to change to a commercial food that is not raw, this change should be done gradually over 5-7 days to prevent stomach upset.

Constipation is a concern in such a young pup and is not the norm. It would be necessary to have her checked over by the vet to ensure she is not dehydrated and her abdomen is comfortable (not tense or impacted). The vet may simply give her some laxatives to solve the issue, but we do need to confirm that she is in good health before doing this.

Hi there, this is just Dr Linda checking in on Rosie Pops to see how she has been doing today? Did you have any further questions?