Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My 14year old cat has been getting sick since last night and

My 14year old cat has been getting sick since last night and is very thrun down !! What should I do ??

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.

Has the vomiting only started in the last 24 hours or has it been an ongoing issue?

How many times has Jack vomited altogether?

Any other symptoms at all e.g. increased drinking, lack of appetite, diarrhoea, weight loss, coughing,lethargy?

Does Jack have any medical history and when did he last have a vet check?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Vomiting only started around 3am this morning,he has vomited roughly around 5/6 times,loss of appetite and lethargy,he’s never been sick before,he 14 and last vet check a few years ago

Thank you for this update.

Can you think of any new food/treat he may have been given? Or perhaps he had access to something he shouldn't have- does he go outside? Any new house plants, chemical cleaners etc?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I gave my dog some bacon yesterday in his bowl and jack had some I’m sure,he has never really had bacon before !!!
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He’s mostly indoors and only goes out in the garden for 20mins a day !!!
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No plants or chemicals whatsoever

Perfect, thanks for this information.

It may well be that he has reacted to this new food which could have caused this stomach upset.

Of course, there are other potential causes e.g. a viral infection, but if we know he had access to the bacon and he has never had it before, I would be suspicious that it is the cause.

In a senior cat that has vomited several times, it is important to ensure he is still well hydrated. Would he allow you to feel his gums to see if the are nice and wet rather than sticky/tacky?

Has he had anything at all to eat and/or drink today?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
His gums feel a bit sticky,I’m not 100%sure,my husband said jack has had nothing to eat or drink today

After eating something that didn't sit well, cats are rarely unwell for longer than 24 hours. We would expect that the worst of the vomiting/nausea has now passed and he should improve quickly with time.

To avoid any more vomiting, it would be best to offer very bland and digestible food little and often for the next 2 days or so. Small meals of either boiled white chicken or boiled white fish and rice should be fed as are often not brought back up. Typical cat food may be too rich for an unsettled stomach,

If he is choosing to not voluntarily drink, a few tablespoons of water should be added to the meals so we know he is drinking something.

With sticky gums, the worry would be that he is a little dehydrated. We would thus be very keen to have him eat or drink something ASAP. Warming the food can help to release flavours and smells and encourage eating. Similarly, he may accept the food from your hand rather than a bowl. I would try to get something into him now before bed time.

Given his age, if the vomiting has not stopped and he has not picked up by tomorrow (or deteriorates in any way), a vet check would be advisable. This would mainly be to ensure he is not dehydrated, but also to assess if there is anything else going on. They will do an all over check and will certainly have a good feel of his abdomen to ensure there is no discomfort or sign of an obstruction. They will check for other things such as a fever. If they have any concerns, they may decide to run some tests, such as some blood tests.

The vet would be able to give some anti-nausea and ant-acid medicines to settle his stomach so he can keep food down and start to recover. If it turns out that he is dehydrated, they may decide to give him some supplemental fluids.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

It has been a pleasure helping you out today, and I hope that you feel I have earned a five-star rating. Please remember to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen, otherwise the website will not compensate me for my time. There is no extra charge for this (it’s included in your question fee). Even after rating, you are more than welcome to continue asking questions. Thank you, ***** *****

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you so very very much,u have been amazing :)

Not a problem at all. You are more than welcome to keep the conversation going over the next few days and to keep me updated on little Jack (there is no extra fee for this). Have a lovely evening!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I really do appreciate it Linda and again Thank u,hopefully u won’t be hearing from me again :)
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Linda,I just said I’d let u no that Jack is back to his normal self thankfully :) eating and drinking like normal,thank u for all ur help the other night