Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a lovely Faverolle chicken. She is about two and a

I have a lovely Faverolle chicken. She is about two and a half years old and usually lays wonderful eggs. My other chickens have come on line, but the Faverolle has not. She had a bit of a "sticky bottom" last week, so I gently washed and dried her and she was all fluffy again. But I have noticed this morning when she poos, there seems to be egg yolk in her poo. She is reluctant to come down from the roost in the mornings and is very quiet. Any ideas?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the chicken. What is the chicken's name?
Customer: She is called Fizz.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Fizz?
Customer: I don't think so. She is usually very happy, healthy and was one of my first chickens. I got her at about 14 weeks, so I do know her personality well. Last year she cut her main (longest) toe on something (I don't know what) and had to have the tip amputated, but it didn't faze her at all. But since resting over the winter, she just hasn't begun to lay.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please note that experts aren't allowed to prescribe prescription drugs in this venue.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I'm sorry to hear of this with Fizz. The egg yolk indicates the formation of a shell-less egg and concurrent with her overall malaise we need to consider oophoritis and salpingitis (ovarian and oviduct infection). There may be additional eggs in her oviduct at this time - imperfect, bound, or normal. if these infections are present, you'll need an avian vet to prescribe a broad spectrum antibiotic you would administer for many weeks. These infections are quite stubborn and, in fact, production hens are culled due to their poor prognosis for return to normal function.

Regrettably, I don't know the over the counter availability of such an antibiotic in France. I would choose a potent broad-spectrum antibiotic such as enrofloxacin or amoxicillin/clavulanate. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was a bit worried that it took so long to answer, especially in view of the fact Fizz has been lethargic all day. She has sat "penguin fashion" with ruffled feathers and has hardly eaten. My husband put some weeds in the coop and she did peck at them. I have looked on the internet and suspect peritonitis and, as you say, the prognosis is not good. I shall keep an eye on her, but she was first up in the roost tonight and is sitting hunched up but cooing, so I don't think she is in pain. I shall check in the morning, but thank you for your reply.

You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.