Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a 8 month old chow chow I think he has hurt his front

hi there
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I have a 8 month old chow chow I think he has hurt his front paw running as he is now limping a little, what do you advise?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no wound, he was just running round the astro turf green with another dog, I was watching, I think he was running quicker than thought so he sort of tripped over and his right leg is now a little limp he's not making any noise or showing any signs of being in pain but it's definitely not quite right
JA: What is the Chow Chow's name?
Customer: Kaiser
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kaiser?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. I'm sorry your question was not answered more promptly and hope I can still help. Just a few moments as I type my response.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thanks

Sorry to hear Kaiser has hurt himself today.

Can I confirm he has not had any mobility issues in the past and this is the first time he is lame?

Is he able to bear any weight on the limb or is he holding it off the floor completely at all times?

Has he been licking at the paw at all?

Is he still energetic and happy to eat and play?

Finally, has the limping gotten worse, stayed the same or improved with time?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Typing is ok

(Typing is great with me too. Apologies, the website automatically suggests a phone call so please feel free to ignore this).

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Linda
He's never had any mobility issues before no. I was watching him play so I saw it happen (which is good I guess). He was running and playing and just went over on it. He is able to bear weight yes but is limping. Limping has stayed the same I'd say. No licking I've noticed. He's just eaten his dinner so all ok re food.

Great, thank you for this detailed response.

As he can bear weight on it and he does not seem to be in too much discomfort (happy to eat etc.), I would be most suspicious that this is a soft tissue injury.

Certainly, going over on the limb can cause quite a lot of tenderness, especially as he is quite a large and heavy breed.

The vast majority of young pups who suffer such an injury will recover quickly. Most will be 50% better by the next day and back to normal within a few days.

The best thing to do is to strictly rest him. He probably won't agree with me on this, but we really want him to relax and allow it to heal. Ideally, over the next few days he would only go outside to the toilet on a lead. We would avoid any running/jumping/slipping/stairs etc. If you can imagine, it is similar to a human with a sprain- the less it is used the quicker it will heal.

Try to keep his mind occupied with things like Kong puzzles and interactive toys so he does not become too frustrated at the lack of exercise.

Once the leg is back to normal, we can slowly (over several days) build back up to his normal exercise routine.

If the limp is not improving or if his limb is very swollen tomorrow (or if he is subdued), this would be cause for concern and would warrant investigation. The next step would normally be an X-ray, though with minor injuries we can often avoid this as it does require a sedation.

There are anti- inflammatory/pain relief medications that the vet can prescribe which can assist the healing and alleviate any pain, though these may not be needed if he is coping well and recovers quickly. Please DO NOT be tempted to give him any human medicine, which can be toxic to dogs.

It has been a pleasure helping you out today, and I hope that you feel I have earned a five-star rating. Please remember to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen, otherwise the website will not compensate me for my time. There is no extra charge for this (it’s included in your question fee). Even after rating, you are more than welcome to continue asking questions. Thank you, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much, this is really helpful. *****

Not at all. You are more than welcome to keep me updated on how Kaiser is getting on over the coming days. There is no additional fee for this and you can simply continue to type in this same window. Have a lovely weekend!