Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

May 4 year old cat has a swollen belly, Candy, He is 4 year

hello, may 4 year old cat has a swollen belly
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Candy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Candy?
Customer: He is 4 year old, I have noticed the swollen belly for the past 1 month has left eating his own food but eats other food has lost weight, fat from other body areas

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Any pre existing medical conditions?

2- Is he strictly indoors?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
1- No
2- Only for the past 3 weeks. He now does not want to go out even though he has the access to

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
sure. I also noticed that his motions are normal one day and loose the next.Please help

There are many different medical conditions that would cause a cat to have a swollen abdomen. It will not be possible for me to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, a common cause is ascites (fluid in the abdomen) secondary to heart, liver or kidney disease, FIP, a tumor, etc. Unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home, I am sorry. Treatment for Candy will depend on identifying the underlying cause. To determine the exact underlying cause Candy will need a hands-on examination by your veterinarian, blood work and x-rays as an initial screening test. If the vet finds fluid in the abdomen they will also need to analyze the fluid. The treatment will be based on exam and test results. For example, if they find that this is related to his heart they will give him medication to help eliminate the fluid and medication to help his heart function better as a pump. There is really not much I can recommend for you to try at home that would any significant therapeutic benefit, I am sorry. If cost is a concern I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost. I realize that this answer may not be entire to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for the honest and quick response. Can you suggest any local vet? I am new to the place. Also can you provide with some to tip as Candy is a shy cat and gets scared when taken close to new people and has the tendency to run away and so the initial online approach.

Please follow the link below to find a vet in your area

http://www.vetlocator.com/

Cats are very particular with strangers; if you are speaking about visitors it will be difficult for her to change this behavior until she becomes familiar with the visitors. So, it is just a matter of time and her getting used to the new people.