Jav917
Jav917,
5071285

My dog hasn’t stopped scratching and gnawing her skin since

Customer Question

Hi my dog hasn’t stopped scratching and gnawing her skin since I came in from work. The skin is red and inflamed. She was panting earlier but I gave her a bit of an antihistamine and she is no longer panting.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?
Customer: She seems to be having a reaction to something and can’t stop gnawing her skin
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: Her paws and her flank
JA: OK. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Carrie and she is 11 in June
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Carrie?
Customer: She has had allergies before where her eyes would itch but nothing as bad as this. There weee there were tufts of fur everywhere where I got in
Expert:  Jav917 replied 6 months ago.

My name isJoan and I have been a Vet tech for 35 years. I would like to assist you with this problem.

Does your dog have seasonal allergies?

Was he outside before you cam home to the scratching and gnawing?

What Antihistamine did you give and how much?

Joan

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She has been to a meadow with the dog walker and she has access to the back garden throughout the dog as we have a dog flap. Yes she does have seasonal allergies and the council have cut the front lawn today. There were capsule antihistamines so she has probably had a quarter of it
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If I bath her, will it help or just make it worse
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  Jav917 replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for the information. This sounds like an inhaled o you mayr contact allergy and could even be a seasonal issue.

You can give her a bath in colloidal oatmeal which will help with the itching. Seasonal allergies have been horrible this year and affecting man and Pet.

We can try putting her on Benedryl 1-2 mgs every 6-8

hours for the itching. If this is a seasonal allergy issue

you may need to see the Vet for Apoquel or Atopica which are especially formulated prescription medication you can get from the Vet.

As far as the red inflammed area you can clean with a Diluted Betadine and water solution diluted to a dark tea color followed up with Neosporin on the area. you can do

this 4 times a day. Please reply to discsscus this and fir clariication.

Joan

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just need something I can give to help her for now until the vets opens and other than Benadryl I don’t have any of those things. Would a cool bath (no shampoo) soothe her at all?
Expert:  Jav917 replied 6 months ago.

I suggested the Oatmeal Bath which will help as well as 1-2 Mgs of Benedryl Per pound of body weight every 6-8 hours. Benedryl in generic form is Diphenhydromine. This will do the trick until you can get he in. I suggested the Apoquel and Atopica that are from the Vet which will help if these are seasonal allergies. Steroids are not good for the Kidneys..

Did you have further questions? I am here to help. Bebdryl comes in 25 mg tablets and capsules.

Joan

Expert:  Jav917 replied 6 months ago.

Can I assist you further? I gave instructions for Antihistamine, treament of red area and a special oatmeal bath to sooth the dog. If you need anything else let me know. I am here to help.

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment t rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Expert:  Jav917 replied 6 months ago.

I wanted to check in and see if the information I supplied was helpful. Please let me know.

Joan