Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Think my cat had a boil on his head. Notice the hair on his

Think my cat had a boil on his head. Notice the hair on his head was sticky and smelly.
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your cat?
Customer: Cleaned the hair from his head. There was some blood. Cleaned it.
Assistant: Where does your cat seem to hurt?
Customer: Left with a little hole now. No bleeding at the momemnt
Assistant: The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: His in good health. On just noticed it this evening when he can in from outside

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please note that experts aren't allowed to prescribe prescription drugs in this venue.

I believe that you're describing a ruptured bite wound abscess. His vet will want to flush this out with an antimicrobial solution containing chlorhexidine and then leave it open to drain. A systemic antibiotic will be prescribed for 5-7 days which should be curative. If it's not too extensive, your cat won't need to be anesthestized and should be able to go home with you following his exam. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for your help. He seems subdued and resting at the moment. Will take him to the vet in the morning.

You're quite welcome. I'm pleased to hear that he'll be attended to by his vet shortly. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.