How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 39486
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now

My dog ate dark chocolate and is hyper active, his name is

This answer was rated:

hi, my dog ate dark chocolate and is hyper active
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** he's a year old . he's 10 kg - jack russel cross
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Joy?
Customer: he is otherwise healthy
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please note that experts aren't allowed to prescribe prescription drugs in this venue.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Joy. Can you tell me how many grams or ounces of dark chocolate was ingested? Do you know the % cocoa content of the chocolate?

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
He had about 60 grams of dark chocolate 70% cocoa content. He is behaving like his happy self - good appetite, drinking, as usual, he had diarrhoea right afterwards but no vomiting and no seizures
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
what signs should I be looking for to know if we need to seek emergency veterinary care? or should I not wait for any signs and take him to the vet anyway

Thank you. He would have needed to ingest ~1/2 ounce per kg of body weight = 5 ounces of 70% cocoa - to suffer from theobromine toxicity - vomiting, agitation, tremors soon after ingestion. He ingested just 2 ounces and so transient agitation was expected (and seen) but he'll remain safe with no lasting adverse effects. There's no need to induce emesis nor treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns.

Dr. Michael Salkin and other Vet Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
ok. great. this was very very helpful !!!

You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.