Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dogs movement behaviour has changed in the last couple of

Hi there, my dogs movement behaviour has changed in the last couple of days. He iSa very active dog but will no longer run, jump or walk down the stairs, couch or chair. S i k k sorry! Didn’t meant that
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: yes, there are no wounds on his foot at all! He licks his paws and scratches sometimes but he has an allergy to grass and with the weather change I was expecting this he is still eating normally, toileting normally and he will let you touch and press him all over
JA: The Expert will know what to do. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: rudi and he is 3 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rudi?
Customer: He is a miniature daschund and I know they are susceptible to IVDD but Tom from what I have googled he doesn’t fit all th criteria

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please note that experts aren't allowed to prescribe prescription drugs in this venue.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That’s fine! I’m not looking for any prescriptions just advice

I'm sorry to hear of this with Rudi. Considering his behavior and breed, degenerative/intervertebral disc disease (a "slipped disc") should still be an important differential diagnosis Supportive evidence of a disc may include vocalizing when approached or lifted, having trouble jumping up or down and navigating steps, ataxia (“drunken sailor”), trembling/shaking/panting/lethargy (pain responses), a change in postures such as the neck held rigidly and head lower to the ground or a "hunch" in Rudi's back, tense abdominal musculature, and a change in behavior - a normally social dog becoming aloof or, conversely, a normally aloof dog becoming "clingy". Constipation may arise due to the pain upon posturing to defecate. Rudi's vet will want to carefully palpate (feel) about his spine looking for areas of hyperpathia (increased sensitivity) suggestive of a disc. Conservative care involves the use of a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam, a narcotic analgesic such as tramadol, and a skeletal muscle relaxant such as methocarbamol or diazepam. These drugs are usually administered for at least ten days. Most simple disks will remiss within a few weeks. It's important to keep these dogs as quiet as possible lest they hurt themselves further.

As for over the counter analgesia, caretakers are constrained to aspirin dosed at 10 mg per pound/22 mg/kg of body weight with food at 12-hour intervals or acetaminophen/paracetamol which can be dosed at 7 mg per pound/15 mg/kg of body weight thrice daily but isn’t anti-inflammatory as is aspirin. You can give aspirin and acetaminophen concurrently which should provide better analgesia than either drug alone. When giving acetaminophen for longer than 5 consecutive days it's best to reduce the dose to 5 mg per pound/11 mg/kg of body weight twice daily. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs.

Should paresis (weakness) or paralysis arise in any limb(s), Rudi would need the attention of his vet at your earliest convenience. Such dogs are then surgical candidates for spinal cord decompression. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
how am I best helping him right now?

His vet's attention is best as the vet has the type of potent drugs you can't purchase over the counter. If that isn't possible, consider the over the counter analgesia I posted above and do your best to keep Rudi as quiet as possible over the next three weeks. Please continue our conversation if you wish.