How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Linda Simon Your Own Question
Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 870
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Linda Simon is online now

Afternoon, my 8 month old staffie just ate half of a single

This answer was rated:

Afternoon, my 8 month old staffie just ate half of a single grape. She weighs around 20kgs
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Dog
Assistant: The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Luna
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Luna?
Customer: I dont think so
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
When it comes to grape/raisin toxicity, the information available is actually quite confusing. The published data states that the 'safe' amount to eat is anything less than 11g/kg is safe. For your Staff, this is 11 x 20 = 220g. The average grape only weighs around 5g. Hence, one grape should not cause toxicity.
However, in a case of grape ingestion, as grapes have the potential to be very dangerous and cause kidney failure, it is never wrong to be assessed by a vet. Often, an owner has told me their pet has eaten one or two grapes and when we make them vomit we find far more! A vet could give your dog an injection to make them sick and monitor their kidney function to ensure it is normal.
If you'd rather avoid a vet visit, if she has really only eaten one grape it is unlikely she will be unwell and I would monitor her at home for any symptoms e.g. change in thirst/urination, nausea, lethargy etc.
Be sure to remove all grapes/raisins from her reach!
I do hope that this answer has been helpful and please do not forget to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen so I may be compensated for my time. Even after rating we can continue the conversation. All the best, ***** *****
Linda Simon and other Vet Specialists are ready to help you