Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My elderly cat is staggering and splaying her legs. This

Customer Question

My elderly cat is staggering and splaying her legs. This happens after she has eaten. Then it about 5 minutes it goes away. This has been happenng for about a week now but is getting worse. Howie is a small tortoiseshell rescue cat. We think she is about 15. Pls help.
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 5 months ago.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I will review your question and get back to you ASAP with a response

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 5 months ago.

Sorry to hear that Howie is unwell. Staggering can have a number of causes, however as it is occuring only after eating then I would be concerned that it could be related to liver disease (a condition.called hepatic encephalopathy). I would recommend taking her to the vets for a checkup, they are likely to need to perform a blood test to help identify the cause of the problem.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Chris