Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

I think my tortoise has broke his bottom beak and it won’t

Hi I think my tortoise has broke his bottom beak and it won’t stop bleeding what should I do x
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your tortoise?
Customer: I put his pellets out for him to see if he’ll eat but no such luck
Assistant: Where does your tortoise seem to hurt?
Customer: His bottom jaw/beak
Assistant: OK. What is your tortoise's name and age?
Customer: cheeko and he’s just over 3 years old
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cheeko?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Iv attached photo
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Photo

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I will review your question and get back to you ASAP with a response

Do you know how long ago this happened and how? To start with I would just hold some moist cotton wool over the area and apply gentle pressure until the bleeding stops

The break has extended quite far back and will be very painful and prone to infection. You will need to take your tortoise to the vet tomorrow (ideally one which specialises in reptiles) as he will need pain relief, antibiotics and possibly the placement of a feeding tube if he is unable to eat. I hope that helps, please let me know if there is anything else I can do.

Chris

Please remember to accept my answer and leave me a rating for helping you today. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you I will contact a vet tomorrow

You're welcome. Hopefully with time the break will grow out and heal but it may take some time.